Search Menu
Menu

What You Thought These Famous Literary Quotes Meant VS. What They Actually Mean

Walt Disney Pictures

Credit:

Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll

Quote:  “Oh, ’tis love, ’tis love that makes the world go round.”

What you thought: Aww. That's so sweet! I'll put it in my wedding toast.

But actually: Remember that this is spoken by the Queen of Hearts, who wants to execute children? So, let's not take it as inspiration so quickly. The Queen says this while walking around with Alice-- who finds her very ugly and unpleasant. A bit later in the same scene, the Queen, who is constantly finding 'morals' in things, also says "'flamingoes and mustard both bite. And the moral of that is — "Birds of a feather flock together."' Mustard is not a bird. I know. Shocking. The point is, we're meant to be skeptical of the things the Queen says, including this line. She represents the idea that Wonderland is devoid of substance, and that she has no power outside of grandstanding and using fancy language.
Topics: Books
Tags: romeo and juliet, shakespeare, alice in wonderland, hamlet, classic lit, classic literature, required reading, classic novels, lewis carroll, robert frost, richard iii, literary quotes, famous quotes, john keats, shakespeare's plays, the road less traveled, basically you've been wrong this whole time

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Taylor Noles

Taylor has very strong feelings about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Her first name is actually Delaney, and her writing has appeared on VICE, NPR, and elsewhere. You can follow her on twitter @delaney_nolan

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.