Menu

Harry Potter's 8 Luckiest Breaks

Warner Bros

Credit:

# 4: The whole Triwizard Tournament thing

I know I've said some controversial things here already. But hold on to your socks for this one: Harry coming first in the Triwizard Tournament? PURE LUCK. It could be argued that this had less to do with luck, and more to do with cheating, but it seems to me that it was incredibly lucky that so many characters suddenly developed a penchant for the competitive dark arts.

Honest Hagrid, without any encouragement or pressure, helps Harry to cheat by showing him that he will face dragons in the first task of the tournament. Moaning Myrtle is the next to help Harry, by telling him to listen to the golden egg under water. This allows him to figure out the basis of the next challenge. Despite knowing that the next task will involve breathing underwater, Harry simply can’t come up with a way to do it. Luckily enough, Dobby is on hand to help him out with gillyweed, a substance that when consumed allows the eater to breathe underwater. And lastly, for the final game, Sirius advises Harry to practice hexes.

Such luck, that so many character are able and willing to help Harry have an unfair advantage. This would actually be even higher on the list if it weren’t for the fact that the winner of the games won a free portkey trip to face Voldemort.

Topics: Books
Tags: harry potter, hogwarts, j.k. rowling, hermione granger, ron weasley, voldemort, tom riddle, harry potter series, horcruxes, triwizard tournament, the boy who lived is #blessed

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Taylor Noles

Taylor has very strong feelings about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Her first name is actually Delaney, and her writing has appeared on VICE, NPR, and elsewhere. You can follow her on twitter @delaney_nolan

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.