Search Menu
Menu

6 Insanely Bizarre Literary Sequels You Never Knew Existed

Warner Bros.

Credit:

There's a sequel to 'The Shining' called 'Doctor Sleep'

I know I’ve been down on a lot of these sequels, so let's end on a positive note. Doctor Sleep—Stephen King’s sequel to The Shining, published in 2013—is actually quite good. Still, it’s a 500-page horror novel, so it’s also completely nuts.

The book follows Danny, Jack and Wendy’s son who has psychic powers. He’s haunted by ghosts, and he develops a telepathic bond with a girl who predicts 9/11. I won’t spoil it too much, but there’s a cult of quasi-immortals, a cat who can sense when people are dying, and some good old-fashioned astral projection just to bring it all home. So if that's your thing, you should totally swing by your nearest Barnes & Noble and pick up a copy. It's better than Dracula the Un-dead, at any rate (but in truth, most things are).

Topics: Books
Tags: books we love, the shining, sisterhood of the traveling pants, les miserables, dracula, catch 22, literary sequels, les miserables 2: the reckoning

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.