Menu

8 Weirdly Specific Things That Happen in Every Young Adult Novel

20th Century Fox

Credit:

I have read every YA novel in the world. Not really (I’m just a person, after all), but sometimes it feels like I have because there are a few weirdly specific things that happen in just about all of them. (Also, I like to PRETEND I've read every YA novel in the world because the truth—that it’s impossible to read them all, and I will die leaving some unread—is just too painful. Better to stick with denial.)

I hope it doesn’t sound like I’m hating on YA (a genre that gets the lion’s share of hate already) because I’m not! I love YA. I love it like Oscar Wilde loved silk cravats or Charles Dickens loved run-on sentences. The only reason I bring this up is because I see this stuff CONSTANTLY, and I feel like we can do better.

Topics: Books
Tags: books we love, ya novels, cliches, ya literature, character tropes, ya lit, young adult literature, young adult novels, if you have green eyes you're spunky and that's that

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.