Search Menu
Menu

8 Books You Won't Believe Got Banned

Buena Vista Pictures

Credit:

‘Bridge to Terabithia’ by Katherine Paterson

Not that they should, but there are many reasons for a school to ban Bridge to Terabithia. “It’s extremely upsetting” and “it ripped my still-beating heart out of my chest and stomped on it” are just two of them. 

But schools have been removing this book from libraries ever since 1986 for reasons that have nothing to do with how hauntingly sad it is. No, what parents don’t seem to like is that it’s “vulgar,” it’s “satanic,” and it makes frequent references to “witchcraft” and the occult. I guess Jess says “Oh, Lord” a lot, and Leslie mentions that her parents don’t go to church, and together they spend a lot of time playing make-believe. But other than that? We must have been reading different books.

Topics: Books
Tags: censorship, shakespeare, books we love, where's waldo, little red riding hood, fairytales, winnie the pooh, bridge to terabithia, twelfth night, banned books, banned books week, merriam-webster

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.