Menu

8 Books You Won't Believe Got Banned

Barnes & Noble

Credit:

The Merriam-Webster dictionary

I know what you’re thinking: “Well, that can’t be right. You can’t just ban the dictionary.” I’m here to tell you that you can, and someone did. In 2010, parents at a Southern California school decided they didn’t like the idea of their impressionable youths reading a book that contained “sexually graphic definitions.” As a result, the Merriam-Webster dictionary was pulled from the shelves.

It may sound ridiculous, but that’s not even the best part. The school board, facing pressure from parents who were justifiably confused to learn their kids could no longer flip through a dictionary in a classroom setting, lifted the ban. However, kids who wanted to use the racy sex tomes had to get a signed permission slip from their parent or guardian. 

I see how it is. Here in the U.S., we need permission slips to read dictionaries, but wizards at Hogwarts can wander around the death forest for detention without their moms or dads knowing a single thing about it.

Topics: Books
Tags: censorship, shakespeare, books we love, where's waldo, little red riding hood, fairytales, winnie the pooh, bridge to terabithia, twelfth night, banned books, banned books week, merriam-webster

Write your own comment!