Search Menu
Menu

The 10 Most Important Tips for Writing the Perfect Common App Essay

ABC/Black-ish

Credit:

WRITE WITH EMOTION

To have an impact on your reader, write with feeling.  Don’t just share what you’ve done; also articulate why it moves you. When a student named Andreas was applying to film school to study animation, he wrote a passionate chronicle of his lifelong devotion to art and animation.  For his closing, he wrote straight from his heart:

“I love animation because it is the ultimate form of storytelling. As I move through streets, what I see makes me think and get ideas for what I might next want to create, model, and move. I want nothing more from life than to wake up every day to do this work, collaborate with likeminded obsessive devotees, and contribute all I can. I hope always to be surrounded by artists who are better, smarter, faster, and wiser, so I am forever learning.

My greatest aim is to make movies that are thought-provoking, stimulate viewers’ imaginations, and pose the question, ‘Imagine if….’ To animate means to bring to life. When I make characters come to life, and every time I learn something new, I too come alive.”

Topics: Life
Tags: personal statements, common app, applying to college, college admission essays, sparknotes college, college 101, crushing the common app, common app essay, common app essay prompts

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Chelsea Dagger

Since 2010, Chelsea Dagger (known in real life as Chelsea Aaron) has been SparkLife's sweatiest editor. She's currently working on a how-to-kiss guide for teens, and when she's not conducting smooch-related research on her life-size Joseph Gordon-Levitt cardboard cutout, she's eating pancakes, stocking up on industrial-strength deodorant, and destroying everyone at Harry Potter trivia. (EXPECTO PATRONUM!)

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.