Menu

5 Fictional Characters Who Were Killed Off for Absolutely No Reason

Universal Pictures

Credit:

Jem Finch from 'Go Set a Watchman'

I don’t know how many of you have read Go Set a Watchman, Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird sequel. If you haven’t read it, the one thing you probably know is that Atticus is (rather abruptly) a racist. The one thing you might not know is that Jem (Scout’s brother and a MAJOR part of Mockingbird) dies like five pages in. Or rather, he dies before the story has even started, and Scout sort of casually drops this bombshell on us before running off to have all her illusions shattered.

I'll admit, this case is a little different. We weren't SUPPOSED to get so attached to Jem; we weren't SUPPOSED to watch him undergo such dramatic character development. But we live in the timeline where Harper Lee published Mockingbird before Watchman, the result of which is that Jem's death rings oddly, pointlessly hollow. (I would have loved to see Jem reckoning with Atticus's change of heart alongside Scout, but alas.)

Topics: Books
Tags: harry potter, romeo and juliet, books we love, the hunger games, to kill a mockingbird, the odyssey, classic literature, go set a watchman, fictional deaths, we hardly knew ye

Write your own comment!