Search Menu

13 Times J.K. Rowling Schooled Her Twitter Followers on Language, Grammar, & Everything Else

When Piers Morgan, a British television personality, recently said that "there is no Muslim ban” in reference to President Donald Trump's proposed travel ban, he was chewed out by Rowling (among others). Morgan was arguing that the proposed ban is not targeting a religion; rather, it targets certain countries. But nit-picking language, carefully arranging your parlance in order to claim innocence, is no shield when you're being-- and this is the legal term, folks-- a giant turd nugget. With regard to the ban, Trump said: "People were so upset when I used the word Muslim. Oh, you can’t use the word Muslim. Remember this. And I’m okay with that, because I’m talking territory instead of Muslim." Trump implied that they were being forced to change their language in order to dodge criticism, but the ban would maintain its original intention ("a total and complete shutdown of Muslims," etc., etc.). Rowling is not down for this verbal trickery, and she condemns Morgan for supporting it. Check yourself.

Topics: Books
Tags: twitter, harry potter, j.k. rowling, donald trump, celeb tweets, grammar nerds, twitter wars, the baddest witch we know

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Taylor Noles

Taylor has very strong feelings about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Her first name is actually Delaney, and her writing has appeared on VICE, NPR, and elsewhere. You can follow her on twitter @delaney_nolan

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email