Search Menu

8 Weirdly Specific Things That Happen in Every Dystopian Novel

There's a train.

Ayn Rand did this in Atlas Shrugged in 1957 and we never looked back. The Hunger Games has that super plush, high-speed train. Divergent has a train that everyone has to jump off or else they don’t let you be in Dauntless. Harry Potter has one, too. (Quick sidebar: would you consider Harry Potter to be a dystopia? It certainly becomes dystopian over time. I'm thinking yes, but some people insist that the presence of an oppressive government doesn't automatically scream "dystopia." PLEASE DISCUSS.)

I get that dystopian novels don’t have a monopoly on trains, but whenever I board one in real life I feel like I’m being transported away from the life I knew, and it’s only a matter of time before I’ll have to face some harsh realities.

Topics: Books
Tags: harry potter, 1984, the hunger games, the maze runner, dystopian fiction, hunger games, the host, the giver, fahrenheit 451, divergent, tropes, dystopian ya, literary tropes, dystopian literature, things are capitalized so you know they're important

Write your own comment!

About the Author

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email