Menu

8 Signs Your Favorite Character Is About to Be Killed Off

Warner Bros/Universal Pictures

Credit:

Each genre has its own tropes for killing off characters. In horror, going off alone for some unnecessary reason is a bad move. Don’t do it. Stay with the group. And if you have to go, DEFINITELY don't pick a dark, confined space to hide. Listen, I like you, but if you’re being pursued by a horrifying ghost-kid and your great escape plan includes locking yourself in an attic filled with stained baby clothes and antique dolls, I’m not waiting for you!

As for sci-fi: if you are a minority in a predominantly white spaceship (I’m looking at you, 90's Star Trek) do not volunteer for any new planet exploration missions.

Crime stories? Try telling your partner all about your retirement plans. BAM! Dead. Might as well walk into traffic. The list goes on. And classic lit is no exception.

Long story short:we know reading can be a dangerous game. Maybe THE most dangerous game. (JK, that's the one where an insane Russian aristocrat is hunting you for sport on an abandoned island.) You’re really enjoying a book one moment, and then suddenly, for no good reason, they KILL DUMBLEDORE!!! (Spoiler alert.) You spiral into a quagmire of despair that takes years to recover from. This is why we've made a guide to predicting when a character is gonna get the axe, so that you can at least emotionally prepare yourself.

Topics: Books
Tags: fiction, classic lit, lord of the flies, the great gatsby, literature, to kill a mockingbird, fictional characters, les miserables, characters we love, augustus waters, lol, fred and george weasley, fictional deaths, rip colin creevey

Write your own comment!