Search Menu

7 Fictional Characters Whose Names Give Away the Story

Focus Features

George Wickham from 'Pride and Prejudice'

I COULD say that his last name sounds a bit like "wicked," or something equally as dubious. But the truth is that George is just a jerk name. We all know it. It's like the Jane Austen version of meeting a guy named Chad and just KNOWING he has a trust fund and a work-out routine he likes to talk about. I knew this guy was bad news from the moment he Georged his way into the story.

I apologize to anyone reading this whose name is George. I’m sure you’re cool, even if your name is not. I learned nothing from this book; I still have my prejudices. If it helps, my name makes me sound like the mean girl in a teen movie, and that’s something I have to live with every day.

Topics: Books
Tags: harry potter, shakespeare, animal farm, books we love, pride and prejudice, the hunger games, othello, movies we love, sirius black, remus lupin, what's in a name? spoilers

Write your own comment!

About the Author

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email