Search Menu

5 Iconic Fictional Romances (That Probably Won't Last)

Warner Bros.

Daisy Buchanan and Jay Gatsby from 'The Great Gatsby'

Leonardo DiCaprio and Carey Mulligan look really good together, but this doesn’t change the fact that Gatsby and Daisy would never work as a couple—not even if Gatsby had lived and Daisy chose him over Tom.

The problem: Daisy would never be able to measure up to the idea Gatsby had of her. It's kind of like whenever I see a movie I'm really excited about and it's not as good as I hoped it would be. (Looking at you, Kingsman 2.)

Nick himself says it best in chapter 5:

There must have been moments even that afternoon when Daisy tumbled short of his dreams – not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion. It had gone beyond her, beyond everything...No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart.

Topics: Books
Tags: harry potter, shakespeare, books we love, the great gatsby, jane eyre, the odyssey, jk rowling, characters we love, beauty and the beast, much ado about nothing, hp, literary romance, fictional romances, love conquers all (or does it?)

Write your own comment!

About the Author

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email