Menu

The 7 Harshest Insults in Fiction

Warner Bros

Credit:

I've received a lot of weird put-downs in my life. I've been called a vending machine of lies. I've been told my hands smell like cabbage. I even, once, upset a taxi driver who then cried, "May your wife give birth to a centipede so you have to work for shoes for the rest of your life!" This is apparently a common insult in Serbia, but I was very impressed by his creativity. The Earth! What a wacky place, with its range of countries, cultures, and bizarre bug-centric insults.

None of the above, however, can be as eloquent as the jabs written in fiction. Read these, memorize these, and bust them out in times of trouble (so you can get yourself into even more trouble).

Topics: Books
Tags: harry potter, shakespeare, classic lit, funny things, classic literature, oscar wilde, the importance of being earnest, holden caulfield, much ado about nothing, anna karenina, a catcher in the rye, classic novels, king lear, lol, thomas hardy, literary insults, literary burns, sick burn brah

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Taylor Noles

Taylor has very strong feelings about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Her first name is actually Delaney, and her writing has appeared on VICE, NPR, and elsewhere. You can follow her on twitter @delaney_nolan

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.