Search Menu
Menu

Protagonists Summed Up in a Single Sentence

Warner Bros.

Credit:

As human beings, we all like to think we’re pretty complicated, but the truth is most of us could be summed up in a single sentence. Take me, for example. I’m a twenty-something flesh vessel just doing her best, and that’s really all you need to know. Everyone reading this probably falls somewhere between “sixteen-year-old honor student who can’t parallel park” and “college sophomore who still hasn’t seen The Breakfast Club,” and that’s it, we’re good to go. We don’t need any information about you beyond that.

The same holds true for literary protagonists. Authors wrote ENTIRE BOOKS trying to get us to understand one character, but wait until those witless morons find out I did it in a single run-on sentence and/or subordinate clause.

Topics: Books
Tags: harry potter, books we love, hamlet, the great gatsby, pride and prejudice, to kill a mockingbird, jane austen, sherlock holmes, lord of the rings, classic literature, funny lists, assigned reading, characters we love, macbeth, extreme sparknoting, extreme character sparknoting, literary protagonists, main characters, summed up, 1 sentence summaries

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.