Search Menu

The Creepiest Books We All Had to Read for School, Ranked

Ealing Studios/Entertainment One/Dorian Gray

I don’t do creepy. I watched Paranormal Activity in broad daylight and still got scared, I can’t listen to murder podcasts, and every time I hear a noise in my apartment I swiftly and resolutely come to terms with my mortality while thinking, “Hey, I lived a good life, right?”

The only creepy things I have ever faced with any amount of grit were the following books, and that’s because they were right there on the syllabus and I had ZERO CHOICE IN THE MATTER. Don’t get me wrong, they were wonderful, but I have a delicate constitution and will undoubtedly be sleeping with the lights on for the rest of my days. Here are those books, ranked in order of creepiness.

Topics: Books
Tags: the yellow wallpaper, frankenstein, edgar allan poe, horror novels, assigned reading, dracula, the sandman, scary books, mary shelley, franz kafka, bram stoker, the tell-tale heart, creepy books, the trial, in cold blood, truman capote, the island of doctor moreau, h.g. wells, e.t.a. hoffmann, charlotte perkins gilman, eek

Write your own comment!

About the Author

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email