Search Menu
Menu

The 7 Most Awkward Moments in Classic Literature, Ranked

Wikimedia Commons

Credit:

#1: That whole thing with Oedipus Rex

As far as awkward situations go, killing your dad and then marrying your mom is pretty high up there. To be fair, it’s an accident, but it’s not like every time I spill mustard on my shirt I do it on purpose. 

What makes this whole thing so distressing is not even the fact that Oedipus has committed one of mankind’s greatest taboos. It’s that everyone and his grandmother figures it about before he does, and they’re all carefully tiptoeing around the truth to spare his feelings. Nothing in this world causes me greater discomfort than when someone has made an egregious social faux pas but doesn’t yet realize it, which is why I would rather have to fight a bear than be forced to read Oedipus Rex by Sophocles even one more time.

Topics: Books
Tags: wuthering heights, books we love, hamlet, the great gatsby, pride and prejudice, the odyssey, classic literature, awkward moments, assigned reading, being awkward, oedipus rex, that awkward moment

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.