Search Menu
Menu

The 7 Best Times Men Were Terrified of Women in Classic Literature

Universal Pictures

Credit:

Éponine Thénardier foils her dad's scheme simply because she feels like it

Don’t let the movies and musicals fool you: in the novel version of Les Misérables, Éponine is less a self-sacrificing martyr and more of a hardened street urchin who fears neither pain nor death. When her father’s gang arrives at the house of Valjean and Cosette to rob them, Éponine tells them, straight-up, "This doesn’t suit me." There are six of them. They have weapons. Literally all she does is stand there and laugh at them, and they scatter. They’re like "LEAVE THE MEN TO THEIR OWN AFFAIRS, YOU SILLY GIRL," and she says, "There are six of you, what matters that to me? You are men. Well, I'm a woman. You don't frighten me."

Topics: Books
Tags: the scarlet letter, pride and prejudice, jane eyre, les miserables, little women, far from the madding crowd, the wife of bath, #nastywoman

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.