Search Menu
Menu

QUIZ: Can You Identify the Shakespeare Play by a Popular Quote?

QUIZ: Can You Identify the Shakespeare Play by a Popular Quote?

BBC Two

Even if you haven’t read every Shakespeare play in existence (which is more than fair—dude wrote a bunch of those things), you probably at least know that “What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet” is from Romeo and Juliet. Which, you know, nice job. You nailed it.

But what about the rest of these quotes? Can you identify their play of origin, too?

1. "Hell is empty, and all the devils are here!"

2. "Brevity is the soul of wit."

3. "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em."

4. "To sleep, perchance to dream—ay, there’s the rub, for in that sleep of death what dreams may come..."

5. "Now is the winter of our discontent."

6. "The course of true love never did run smooth."

7. "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown."

8. "Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't."

9. "Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow."

10. "A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!"

11. "If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?"

12. "All that glisters is not gold."

13. "I do love nothing in the world so well as you: is not that strange?"

14. "Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once."

15. "This is very midsummer madness."

More SparkTests

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.