Search Menu
Menu

5 Books We Would Love to See Gender-Swapped

Warner Bros.

Credit:

The Odyssey

The Odyssey is an epic romp just chock full of antiquated gender roles—which is why it’s the perfect candidate for a gender-swapped update. 

In the original, Odysseus is the archetype of masculinity because he’s a smart, sexy war hero. Penelope is the ideal woman because she stays faithful to him for twenty years. I want to read a version where the woman goes off and fights sea monsters while her husband stays home and is like “LADIES, I’LL MARRY ONE OF YOU JUST AS SOON AS I FINISH WEAVING THIS SHROUD. I KNOW I’M A HOT COMMODITY, BUT PLEASE BE PATIENT, I’M STILL NOT OVER THE DEATH OF MY COOL WARRIOR WIFE.”

Topics: Books
Tags: twilight, books we love, lord of the flies, the great gatsby, pride and prejudice, the odyssey, the picture of dorian gray, classic literature, genderbent, yes please, genderbent fiction

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.