Search Menu
Menu

The Book Report: There's Going to Be a Female Lord of the Flies Reboot, Terry Pratchett's Unfinished Books Were Just Crushed By a Steamroller, & More

The Book Report: There's Going to Be a Female <i>Lord of the Flies</i> Reboot, Terry Pratchett's Unfinished Books Were Just Crushed By a Steamroller, & More

Continental Distributing

Hey there, fellow journeymen on the road of life! We’re going to be trying something new here on the old blog. Here’s how it works: I round up a bunch of news stories about books and then we talk about them, preferably out loud and to each other.

Today we’ll be talking about Terry Pratchett’s (bonkers) last will and testament, Lord of the Flies (but with ladies), and that whole thing where The New York Times pulled a book off its best seller list because of a shady publishing scandal involving NSYNC. (You’d better believe that story has twists and turns.)

I think you’ll agree that’s a lot to unpack. So without further ado, let’s dive in.

8/30/17: Author Terry Pratchett’s Unfinished Novels Have All Been Posthumously Crushed by a Steamroller, Because Of Course They Were

Lots of NEWS going on these days, isn’t there? Sometimes the news is sad and scary, but other times the news is “HEY GUESS WHAT, TERRY PRATCHETT’S ASSISTANT JUST HAD ALL HIS UNFINISHED BOOKS CRUSHED BY A STEAMROLLER BECAUSE APPARENTLY THAT’S WHAT TERRY PRATCHETT WANTED.”

Terry Pratchett, who wrote the Discworld series, died in 2015. He had as many as 10 unfinished novels on his computer and didn’t want them to be completed and released by someone else. Naturally, his assistant had the hard drive steamrolled and then placed in a stone crusher. You know, just to be 100% sure.

8/30/17: These Two Guys Are Set to Direct an All-Female Reboot of Lord of the Flies

There’s been a lot of talk about this and no real need for me to pile on, but I will anyway because that’s what I do.

William Golding specifically wrote Lord of the Flies as a response to a book called The Coral Island by R. M. Ballantyne. It’s about some British boys who are marooned on an island and have a fantastic time because they are British and boys and therefore really smart and awesome and civilized. Lord of the Flies was meant to be a refutation of this holier-than-thou attitude. Systematic masculinity and the socialization of young boys (specifically British boys, who have a long history of sitting pretty atop an imperialist empire) are kind of the whole point, no?

Was anybody asking for an all-female reboot of Lord of the Flies? I don’t know. Maybe they were. All I know for sure is that I want a gender-bent reboot of The Outsiders with girl gangs and leather jackets, and I want it now.

8/26/17: A New York Times Best Seller Was Pulled from the List for Allegedly Bulking Up Its Sales

This story is ALL KINDS OF BIZARRE AND YOU GUYS NEED TO HEAR ABOUT IT.

So there’s this young adult book called Handbook for Mortals by Lani Sarem. Without warning, it appeared right at the top of the New York Times’ young-adult best-seller list. The fact that no one had heard of Handbook for Mortals, coupled with the fact that the novel was a first for both its author and its publisher, struck some people as suspicious. Sleuthing ensued. Ultimately, it was removed from the list.

EVEN WEIRDER? It has all these absolutely BANANAS connections with B-list celebrities. The author is apparently the cousin of J.C. Chasez from NSYNC. She previously managed bands like Blues Traveler, who didn’t have great things to say about her on Twitter. Neither did Jackson Rathbone, who played Jasper in Twilight and also used to work with her. The book’s publisher, GeekNation, was co-founded by Clare Kramer, who played Glory on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Actor Thomas Ian Nicholas from American Pie is already set to produce and star in the movie adaptation, somehow.

I encourage to read the whole story. It’s got more plot twists than Game of Thrones.

Topics: Books
Tags: lord of the flies, pop culture, book news, in the news, young adult, book report, book twitter, terry pratchett, the book report

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.