Search Menu
Menu

5 Harry Potter Fan Theories That Would've Made the Books Way Better

Warner Bros.

Credit:

The fan theory: Harry is immortal

I can’t stress enough how many fan theories are out there. Half the Internet is made up of fan theories, the other half is just cat videos. And of all the fan theories currently in existence, this is the one I think about when I’m lying awake at night. This is the one that haunts me.

What if the prophecy—“Either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives”—meant that Harry and Voldemort could ONLY die at the hand of the other? That Harry HAD to kill Voldemort, not because he was destined to do so but because he was the only person who was physically capable? By killing Voldemort, Harry was eliminating the only person in the world who could kill him. Choosing this path would mean Harry was choosing the curse of immortality, dooming himself to an eternal existence of watching his loved ones die around him.

We’ve talked about this one before, too. It doesn’t entirely fit with the plot as is—Harry’s final, tragic walk into the Forbidden Forest wouldn’t be an act of pure sacrifice so much as an act of selfishness, and that’s not the Harry way—but it is interesting to think about. It would harken back to the very first book, with all that talk of Nicolas Flamel and eternal life. Remember: “After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”

Topics: Books
Tags: harry potter, books we love, jk rowling, neville longbottom, draco malfoy, characters we love, fangirling, fan theories, hp, harry potter fan theories, crookshanks was the chosen one all along

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.