Search Menu
Menu

5 Harry Potter Fan Theories That Would've Made the Books Way Better

Warner Bros.

Credit:

The fan theory: Draco Malfoy is a werewolf

At some point in the last ten years, people came together and decided Draco Malfoy was a werewolf. 

Why? Well, the theory goes that Greyback bit Draco on Voldemort’s orders, as punishment for Lucius’s failure to retrieve the prophecy at the Ministry. Supporters of this theory believe Draco was never made a Death Eater, not officially; he, like Greyback, was promised a sort of informal allegiance in exchange for his services. There's a mountain of evidence for this, including 1) we never see Draco's Dark Mark, 2) Draco becomes very ill and pale over the course of the sixth book, and 3) Voldemort makes pointed remarks to Draco about babysitting Tonks and Lupin's werewolf cubs. If you want to know more, you can check out dracomalfoyisawerewolf.com, and I am completely serious about that.

I think we can all agree that the evidence is mostly conjecture. Besides, there’s no way Voldemort would ever dilute the blood of a loyal pureblood family. But that didn’t stop a bunch of us from saying, “YEP, THAT’S A WEREWOLF IF I EVER SAW ONE.”

The theory’s been debunked by J.K. Rowling herself, but here’s why I think it would’ve made for a better book. As someone who appreciates good storytelling, there’s something I like about the idea of Draco Malfoy ultimately becoming what he always hated most: a half-blood. Many of us were hoping to see a Draco Malfoy redemption arc at the end of the series, or at least something concrete to showcase his ideological shift. What we got instead were Draco’s fledgling attempts at almost doing the right thing, followed by some brief but significant eye contact with Harry in the epilogue. What better way to wrap up Draco Malfoy’s storyline than by forcing him to forfeit his status and privilege and learn compassion for a group of wizards he and his family had always considered inferior?

Topics: Books
Tags: harry potter, books we love, jk rowling, neville longbottom, draco malfoy, characters we love, fangirling, fan theories, hp, harry potter fan theories, crookshanks was the chosen one all along

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.