Menu

Famous Playwrights Summed Up in a Single Stage Direction

Cinecom Pictures

Credit:

If there’s one thing we’ve learned, it’s that everything in the world can be summed up in a single solitary quip, including classic authorsliterary genres, and Harry Potter. But playwrights? Playwrights are a different beast entirely. They have to put together entire scripts, with plot and dialogue and names and stuff. That’s why today I’ll be summing them up not in sentences, as is customary, but in stage directions.

I’ll even be doing the ancient Greeks (who didn’t really use stage directions so we just kind of had to guess what was going on) and Eugene O’Neill (who not only used stage directions but used them the way I use social apps to avoid real-life problems, which is to say passionately and often).

Topics: Books
Tags: drama, theatre, oscar wilde, william shakespeare, tom stoppard, arthur miller, playwrights, [enter chorus], playwrights summed up, eugene o'neill, george bernard shaw, 1 sentence summaries

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on Twitter or check out her website if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.