Search Menu
Menu

50 Essay Topics for the Most SparkNoted Books

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

26. Analyze the power dynamics on the island and what makes Jack’s rise to power possible. How does he use fear to exploit the myth of the beast and manipulate the other boys? Where do the “littleuns” fit into the hierarchy, and what is their purpose?

27. There are no adults present on the island until the very end, yet the boys allude to them constantly. How do adults factor into the novel? What function do they serve?

28. In chapter 8, Ralph asks Piggy, “What makes things break up as they do?” Piggy replies, “I dunno. I expect it’s him… Jack.” In the same chapter, the Lord of the Flies tells Simon, “You knew, didn’t you? I’m part of you? Close, close, close! I’m the reason why it’s no go? Why things are what they are?” Compare these two scenes. What do they suggest about evil? What do they suggest about Jack?

29. Throughout the novel, fire serves as a symbol of hope, of rescue, of civilization. At the end of the novel, it is indeed a fire that leads them to rescue, but it’s one created by Jack’s tribe while hunting Ralph. What does this suggest about civilization?

30. Trace the boys’ perception of the conch shell (symbolic of order) and the beast (symbolic of evil) as the novel progresses. What do they suggest about humanity?

Topics: Books
Tags: romeo and juliet, hamlet, the scarlet letter, lord of the flies, the great gatsby, to kill a mockingbird, frankenstein, the odyssey, huck finn, macbeth, character analysis, essay help, we got you, the adventures of huckleberry finn, thesis topics, essay topics

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on tumblr or Twitter if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.