Search Menu
Menu

The Harry Potter Movies, Ranked from Best to Worst

The <em>Harry Potter</em> Movies, Ranked from Best to Worst

Warner Bros.

The worst part about being alive is, inarguably, having to get out of bed every single morning. The best part is that sometimes we get out of bed to find that Warner Bros. has said, "Screw it, let’s just play the Harry Potter movies in theaters. We don’t need a reason."

Okay, so technically speaking, they do have a reason. Fantastic Beasts is coming out on November 18, so for one week, starting October 13, IMAX theaters all over the U.S. will be hyping up the big event by showing all eight movies. It'll be like the movie marathon to end all movie marathons, except the snacks will be more expensive and I should probably wear pants.

In light of this, I've taken it upon myself to rank the movies from best to worst, using arbitrary criteria that (surprisingly) has nothing to do with Daniel Radcliffe's hair. You may not agree with everything I’m saying here today, and that’s your right, but I think the math speaks for itself.

BEST: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

+2 points for dreamboat Tom Riddle
+5 points for the casting of Gilderoy Lockhart
-4 points for Nigel, because he had no business being a character in this franchise when we already had a perfectly good Colin Creevey
+6 points for all the hilarious things Ron’s face did
+2 points for Lucius Malfoy looking simultaneously like an overly involved PTA parent but also a pageant queen who's not here to be your friend

TOTAL POINTS: 11

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

-1 point for just snapping the Elder Wand in half
-10 points for Voldemort exploding like a flesh piñata
-2 points for the Voldemort/Draco hug
+6 points for capping it all off with "Hedwig’s Theme"
+15 points for making my heart hurt in all the best possible ways

TOTAL POINTS: 8

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

+4 points for dreamboat Oliver Wood
-2 points for Harry not grabbing one of a metric ZILLION Hogwarts letters that were floating around his head, like some kind of FOOL
+3 points for baby Emma Watson mouthing along with everyone else’s lines when she wasn’t busy doing her own
+1 point for murder chess
-3 points for horrifying CGI Firenze
+4 points for Christmas at Hogwarts

TOTAL POINTS: 7

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

+7 points for Neville Hotbottom
-3 points for the director sneaking that dancing scene in there, because apparently David Yates is a diehard Harry/Hermione shipper
+5 points for the Tale of the Three Brothers being visually stunning
-3 points for the plot going nowhere fast

TOTAL POINTS: 6

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

+5 points for Harry being drunk on Felix Felicis
-3 points for whatever the hell was happening when Ginny tied Harry’s shoe in her bathrobe, like what even was that
-4 points for Harry having more chemistry with Cormac McLaggen than he ever did with Ginny
-2 points for the Burrow getting set on fire just so Hermione could tell Harry to Realize Who He Is
+4 points for everyone raising their wands for Dumbledore
+6 points for that scene where all the teachers had to witness the fallout of the Ron/Hermione/Lavender love triangle in the hospital wing

TOTAL POINTS: 4

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

+4 points for "THAT’S MY SON! THAT’S MY BOY!" being the saddest scene in a movie, full stop
+2 points for CGI dragons
-5 points because nobody bothered to tell Michael Gambon that Dumbledore is the kind of man who doesn’t manhandle his students OR shout baseless accusations
-2 more points because Michael Gambon just couldn't control himself
+3 points for Cedric telling Harry to take a bath

TOTAL POINTS: 2

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

-3 points for Lupin being the werewolf version of Slenderman and personally giving me nightmares
+5 points for "Spiders! They want me to tap dance. I don’t want to tap dance!"
-1 point for the CGI Whomping Willow whipping Harry and Hermione around like Mylar balloons
+3 points for Hermione’s infamous Malfoy Punch
-5 points for giving Hermione all of Ron’s best qualities
-2 points for blowing the whole budget on shrunken heads when they could have been fleshing out the Marauders storyline

TOTAL POINTS: -3

WORST: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

+4 points for dreamboat Emma Watson
+2 points for special effects (particularly Dumbledore’s duel against Voldemort)
-3 points for the moody color palette
-1 point for Voldemort possessing Harry, which was well done but still haunts me
-10 points for making Sirius’s death seem about as tragic as briefly misplacing your keys

TOTAL POINTS: -8

Agree? Disagree? How would you rank the films?

[Via US Weekly.]

This post was originally published in October 2016

Topics: Life
Tags: harry potter, daniel radcliffe, harry potter movies, fantastic beasts and where to find them, fantastic beasts and where to find them movie, mathematically proven

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on tumblr or Twitter if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.