Search Menu
Menu

Would You Be Asked to Dance in a Jane Austen Novel?

Would You Be Asked to Dance in a Jane Austen Novel?

Focus Features

At least twice a week, I wonder how I would fare in Jane Austen’s world of ballrooms, gossip, and snappy dialogue. Considering my aversion to fashionable bonnets, my lack of decorum, and the frequency with which I talk about butts, I think it’s safe to assume I would be severely shunned, if not banished from society outright. But I didn’t know for sure, so I made this quiz. Now you, too, can calculate your odds in the veritable battle royale of Regency dances, then plan accordingly in case of time travel. Score!

1. Has anyone ever deemed you unfit for marriage?

2. Describe your mother.

3. Do you possess moxie, spunk, spirit, or some other quality of indefinable but irresistible brazenness?

4. What’s your plan for the future?

5. How disagreeable are you, on a scale of 1 to 10?

6. Are you, or have you ever been, part of a complicated love triangle?

7. How marriageable are you, compared to your siblings?

8. Have you ever overheard someone say you’re tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt them?

9. Has anyone ever told you that you pierce their soul?

10. Do you stand to inherit nothing when your father passes?

11. Approximately how many terrible misunderstandings have you experienced in the last week?

More SparkTests

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

In real life, she goes by the name Courtney Gorter. This is a closely guarded secret, and you're the only one who knows about it, so be cool. You can follow her on tumblr or Twitter if you want, but it's just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.