Search Menu
Menu

17 Shakespeare Plays Summed Up by a Single Taylor Swift Lyric

17 Shakespeare Plays Summed Up by a Single Taylor Swift Lyric

YouTube / Big Machine Records

Shakespeare is everywhere. I mean probably 99% of the idioms that leave your mouth on any give day were coined by a dude who wore a frilly collar and wrote with a quill pen. Seriously. Laughing stock, one fell swoop, wild-goose chase, full circle, mind's eye, be-all end-all, goodness' sake—Shakespeare, Shakespeare, Shakespeare, Shakespeare, Shakespeare, Shakespeare, Shakespeare. And that is just the tip of a seriously large iceberg. Think Titanic-sinking proportions, here. Shakespeare is everywhere, so it's no surprise that I was able to find him and his plays scattered across the lyrics of Tay-Tay's oeuvre. Enjoy these brief summaries at your leisure:

I stay up too late, got nothing in my brain / That's what people say mmm, that's what people say mmm - Hamlet

Magic, madness, heaven, sin - Macbeth

Bad blood - Titus Andronicus

See the lights / See the party, the ball gowns / I see you make your way through the crowd / You say "hello," little did I know / That you were Romeo - Romeo and Juliet

Love's a game, want to play? - As You Like It

It feels like a perfect night for breakfast at midnight / To fall in love with strangers  / Yeah, we're happy, free, confused, and lonely at the same time - A Midsummer Night's Dream

Everybody here was someone else before / And you can want who you want / Boys and boys and girls and girls - Twelfth Night

Down and out about the liars and dirty, dirty cheats in the world  - Richard II

Your saddest fear comes creeping in / That you never loved me or her or anyone or anything - King Lear

I get drunk on jealousy - Othello

Still got scars on my back from your knife - Julius Caesar

Now we got problems / And I don't think we can solve them - The Merchant of Venice

The sky turned black like a perfect storm - The Tempest

You can tell me when it's over / If the high was worth the pain - Henry V

I threw my phone across the room at you / I was expecting some dramatic turn-away / But you stayed - The Taming of the Shrew

Could end in burning flames or paradise - Antony and Cleopatra

Today was a fairytale - All's Well that Ends Well

Did you know Will & Tay had so much in common?

Topics: Music, Books, Life
Tags: drama, romeo and juliet, shakespeare, high school, summaries, taylor swift, hamlet, the tempest, as you like it, othello, teens, macbeth, a midsummer night's dream, king lear, but you should still probably read them, the merchant of venice, study help

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Emma W.

Emma loves dogs, Emily Dickinson, Jane Austen, and long walks on the beach. She grew up in New York City and now lives in Iowa City with her husband and two very, very cute dogs.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.