Skip over navigation

The Giver As Reviewed By A Professional Doodler

By ziggykelsman Aug 19, 2014

1 of 8

ziggykelsman

Credit:

Jonas meets his friends Fiona and Asher (Odeya Rush and Cameron Monagahn.) They’re the three best friends that anybody could have!

A few disclaimers before this review: The last time I read the book The Giver was around 1995, so I could be hazy on some details of the original source material. Also, from here on out, this will be ALL SPOILERS.

Opening Scene: The film starts out in black and white. A voice-over from Jonas introduces a society of “true equality.” The community has a sleek, modern, futuristic design, yet all the kids are using the worst bikeshare vehicles we've ever seen.

Jonas is played by Aussie semi-newcomer Brenton Thwaites. I was worried that he would be too hunky and old and turn the movie into a gratuitous teen-heartthrob-make-out-fest, but no.  Jonas has a cute, sweet, golden-retriever-vibe and looks like he’s juuust about to grow into some really handsome eyebrows.

Topics: Books, Entertainment
Tags: slideshows, lois lowry, funny, the giver, illustrated slideshows, page to screen, film reviews, when you wake up and wonder why you're all wearing uniforms

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!