Skip over navigation

20 Reasons We Love John Green

20 Reasons We Love John Green

By Ashley Brooke Roberts

Picture of John Green in vaguely pedophilic swingset from @realjohngreen on Twitter

He created the entire Nerdfighter movement to rid the world of suck and make things more awesome. He is an unabashed sook-bag. He created GUS. He found a way around existential dread. He managed to write a cancer book that wasn't about cancer. He cares about his fans, and important causes. He loves music. He's a huge sports geek. His face is half-baby, half-talking volleyball, half-DREAMBOAT. He's smart. He's so darned funny. He's a nice midwestern lad. He's king of the dorks...

We could go on all day about why John Green is so lovable, but we've narrowed it down to 20 reasons!

He made his own pizza t-shirt.

dftbarecords: Just in time for summer! We’re going to be doing these as a pre-order until Monday! This is a limited-time experiment. DFTBA Records also ships internationally, btw.

(background image goingslo)

He and his brother Hank started Project for Awesome, which is has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for charities.

CURRENTLY ACCEPTING RESUMES FOR cute with a sense of humor.

He understands the importance of Beyonce.

My dad’s response: “All grown up finding inspiration outside the family.”

(background image kennymatic)

He’s in control of his media presence, man.

He isn’t precious about his work: “I just give myself permission to suck. I delete about 90 percent of my first drafts … so it doesn’t really matter much if on a particular day I write beautiful and brilliant prose that will stick in the minds of my readers forever, because there’s a 90 percent chance I’m just gonna delete whatever I write anyway. I find this hugely liberating. I also like to remind myself of something my dad said in [response] to writers’ block: ‘Coal miners don’t get coal miners’ block.’” (From his official FAQ page.)

He started Crash Course with his brother Hank, which offers “classes” on biology, world history, ecology, English literature, chemistry, United States history, psychology and literature.

Which remind us, VlogBrothers.

He’s owns a West Highland Terrier named Fireball Wilson Roberts, which is great on its own, but enhanced by 110% when you learn the dog’s nicknames are: “The Dread Pirate Fireball Wilson Roberts,” “Bubbles the Nerdfighting Puppy,” and “Willy.”

(Youtube/mcconaughi)

(background image Robert S. Donovan)

We’ve teared up 451 times thinking about Hazel and Gus while we wrote this post.

(background image anieto2k)

He was cut from his own movie and thought it was “ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS

(background image Bev Goodwin)

Ummm...He was in a in a Google Hangout video chat with his wife and PRESIDENT OBAMA. In the video he asked the President whether him and his wife should name their unborn daughter Eleanor or Alice. I mean. Could he be more charming?

(background image martinak15)

He was on My Drunk Kitchen.

He’s an Earnest Hemingway fan.

21. *Bonus!*

Do you have a top reason why you love John Green?

Topics: Books, Celebs & Stuff
Tags: books we love, john green, nerdfighters, people we love, authors we love, reasons, dftba, instigator of feels

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Ashley Brooke Roberts

Ashley Brooke Roberts is a stand-up comedian, writer, and actor living in Brooklyn. She's a performer at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater and can usually be found smiling at random dogs on the street. Follow her on twitter at @AshleyBRoberts.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.