Skip over navigation

Who wants to go to Hogwarts? Now you can!

Sparkler Post
Who wants to go to Hogwarts? Now you can!

YOU GUYS. The best thing ever has happened to me. I think I'm crying. Or laughing. Or maybe both. Actually, it's both.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY IS NOW ONLINE.

This isn't one of those forums where everyone roleplays a character. This isn't even Pottermore, which while it satisfied most of us for a limited time the lack of new content eventually led it to becoming boring for a good deal of us.

This is actual, real live online Hogwarts.

It hasn't been around too long, so just on now so when it becomes really popular you can be one of the "cool kids" who was there from the start. (And you'll get to pick on the first years if you're evil and cruel like that and you are in Slytherin.) It's completely fan made and produced, and they did a really good job on it. Because it's so new there's still a few things they need to work out, a few kinks and such. But it's off to a great start and I can't wait to see where they go with it.

Here's a basic overview of what you can expect:

1. First you sign up with your name. This is pretty much a given for any website. Select a house and all that fun stuff. (Or use the house Pottermore sorted you into if you've been on that site. That's the best sorting system available.)

2. The website will explain itself to you, but here's the idea. Due to an increase in the number of homeschooled witches and wizards (anyone else thinking of Dan Bergstein right about now?) and people wanting to be able to study abroad, Hogwarts is now offering classes online. You are able to graduate from Hogwarts and go into a career path of your choosing. O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s can be taken as well online. It's NOT a roleplaying site. Very few professors admit that this is even fake. Most of them quite seriously assume that you are a witch or wizard who is taking a Hogwarts class from home. I suggest you go along with it. It's more fun that way.

3. As of right now, everyone is a first year. There are seven courses available for first years to take. You can sign up for all or none of them, though I can't understand why you would make an account if you're signing up for none of them. I'm taking them all. Sign up for the ones that you wish to take.

4. Prepare to study HARD. If this is just a little side diversion for you, I wouldn't suggest taking more than one or two classes. They are taught like an actual class. You are allowed to take one lesson per week. There are actual, real live professors that write up the classes and grade your essays. You will take actual exams and get actually graded and can actually fail. (What do you mean my Potions essay was an 87%? I ROCKED that thing!) And of course, all of your percentages also equal a letter grade. I've got a couple O's and a few E's under my belt.

5. As part of number four, you will get homework! This is the best part, in my opinion! (Though one of the teachers, I can't remember who, demanded a 500 word essay on something obscure. I thought it would be a cinch but it was atually hard to write a good essay that long.) The essays are usually really short, so don't freak out too much. The assigments aren't that hard. I haven't taken a test now, so I can't promise that.

6. Again leading off of number five, there is an extensive collection of textbooks on there. You'll buy them with your online Gringotts account, which doesn't cost real money so don't worry, and you'll be expected to read them. The History of Magic teacher expects you to really read the book, but the chapters are short. Even though the site doesn't admit it they know this is a diversion for most people and not an actual education.

7. There is chat available for you and your classmates in every class, you and the people in your dorm, and in your house. Unlike many other websites this is optional and not necessary. You don't even have to have a dorm if you don't want to.

I didn't mean to scare you off by stressing the homework. It's really not that bad because even if after the lesson they give you three assignments, you have to wait at least a week before taking the next lesson anyway. And you're not required to do all the courses like I am. But since we'll be able to pick a wizarding career later on and some future courses will require previous ones I wanted to cover all my bases. Even though Astrology looks really, really boring.

THIS IS THE COOLEST THING EVER AND I PROBABLY DIDN'T EXPLAIN IT VERY WELL!!! I am perfectly justified to use caps when I'm this excited. If you have your doubts, just read the front of the webpage before making up your mind. If you care at all for Harry Potter, sign up!

And look me up on there! My name on the site (it's fake) is Sabrina Stone. There was a Sparkler on here awhile ago named Sabrina and I liked her name so much I asked if I could use it for stuff. She said yes, so Sabrina Stone is now my online fake name. (And also because of Pokemon.) Tell me you're from Sparknotes and I'll add you!

Here's the link to the website: http://www.hogwartsishere.com/

Have fun never doing real homework again!

Topics: Life
Tags: harry potter, hogwarts

Write your own comment!