Skip over navigation

Disgruntled Author Thinks J.K. Rowling Should Stop Writing

Disgruntled Author Thinks J.K. Rowling Should Stop Writing

By Sara Jonsson

Okay, so there's this woman named Lynn Shepard who thinks Mama Bear J.K. Rowling should stop writing books because it's not fair to other writers who are struggling in the business. *inhale* What kind of logic is that? Just the title of her article, "If J.K. Rowling Cares About Writing She Should Stop Doing It," gave us a rage stroke. Her opinion is her opinion, but since it is clear she is herself an accomplished novelist, this whole article tastes strongly of bitterness. Let's take a gander at the article and rebut everything. You know, for fun:

On Harry Potter:

I've never read a word (or seen a minute) so I can't comment on whether the books were good, bad or indifferent. I did think it a shame that adults were reading them (rather than just reading them to their children, which is another thing altogether), mainly because there's so many other books out there that are surely more stimulating for grown-up minds.

Well, first of all, it is beyond bogus that you would judge anyone for reading books that you have never read. This also makes it sound like the only popular books adults should read are Fifty Shades of Gray and Dan Brown novels. It is  rage-inducing that you would chastise anyone for reading anything. Reading is the best, you are the worst.

On The Casual Vacancy:

That book sucked the oxygen from the entire publishing and reading atmosphere. And I chose that analogy quite deliberately, because I think that sort of monopoly can make it next to impossible for anything else to survive, let alone thrive.

Oh Please. By your reasoning, any accomplished author should bow out of the limelight as soon as they become a success. You better get to work writing an article like this about Stephen King, Malcom Gladwell, Margaret Atwood, J.K Rowling—oh wait. You are NUTS, lady.

On Cuckoo's Calling:

I know she used a pseudonym, and no doubt strenuous efforts were indeed made to conceal her identity, but there is no spell strong enough to keep that concealed for long.

HEY! She actually tried to write a book based on her writing merits alone! Sans huge star appeal! She tried! And she'll try again! We have a feeling you're also going to have to change your name after everyone reads this article.

Lady, you don't have a leg to stand on when you ask artists to stop making art just because they're good at it. It's clear J.K. Rowling cares about writing. That's why she'll never stop.

Do you think this lady is jelly or has a point?

[via Huffington Post]

Topics: Books, Life, Celebs & Stuff
Tags: writers, jk rowling, authors we love, zero sum game, how to succeed, crazy essays

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Sara Jonsson

Sara Jonsson is a Brooklyn-based writer, storyteller, and comic-book-movie lover. She can sometimes be found hosting variety shows, or writing web series about girls waiting in bathroom lines. She is from Montana and and dreams of one day interior designing ranch houses for a living.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.