Skip over navigation

Wendy Davis's Daughters Write Open Letters to Her Haters

Wendy Davis's Daughters Write Open Letters to Her Haters

By Sara Jonsson

Albert H. Teich / Shutterstock.com

Think of how irritating and mind-boggling it is to have a rumor spread about you at school, or at work. Out of the blue, people start spreading a hurtful and ridiculous "fact." And it's something so stupid, like you accidentally sat in juice one time, and now everyone knows for a fact that you still pee your bed every night. Why?? Now pretend your school is the entire United States, the rumor mongers are political pundits and Bristol Palin, and the rumor is actually that your mother abandoned you to pursue a "career in killing babies." Yup, these are the things being said about Dru and Amber Davis's mother, Senator Wendy Davis.

Wendy Davis became the Lebron James of filibustering a few months ago, standing for nearly 12 hours with out food or water to prevent a bill that would essentially have banned abortion in Texas. Well, girl is now running for governor of Texas, and the GOP is plain upset. Their argument is essentially that Wendy should not be governor because she is a bad mother. Daughter of a politician who has endured media scrutiny Bristol Palin also felt like weighing in, saying:

"[Davis] lied about much of her 'pulling herself up by her own bootstraps' story. Actually, she found a man to marry her, pay her way through college, and then through Harvard Law School. The day after he paid the last bill, she left him. By the way, she left her kids too. She said, 'it's not a good time for me right now' to be a parent... She left her kid, husband, made it into a false 'made-for-tv-movie-type-tale' and then demanded that Texans have the right to kill babies."

Davis's daughters Dru and Amber have been blindsided and perplexed by these attacks, saying, "...Not only is this ridiculously unfair; it's completely untrue." So they decided to set the record straight about their mother, penning open letters in her defense—something that many of us never think we'll have to do, much less have to do.

In her letter, Amber begins by stating the obvious:

"...I have spent the past few days reading the ludicrous comments that people have shared on social media about my mother and our family. It is a shame that those who don’t know us feel the need to comment on the details of our lives as if they've lived them. I have a hard time understanding how such hate and negativity can result from one person’s false accusations."

Both daughters speak glowingly of their mother and how she was always there for them, despite working two jobs and attending Harvard Law School. Says Dru:

"Yes, she went to law school after my sister and I were born. We lived with her the first semester, but I had severe asthma and the weather there wasn't good for me. My parents made a decision for my sister and me to stay in Texas while my  mom kept going to school. But that doesn't mean she wasn't there for us. She traveled back and forth all the time, missing so many classes so that she could be with us. Her friends were such a big help. Especially her third year, when she would only go to school two weeks out of the month and her friends would share class notes so she could try to keep up while she was home with us in Fort Worth."

Something tells us this won't be the only time Dru and Amber will have to defend their mother, but it seems like they are more than up to the task.

[Via: Jezebel / Huffington Post / Washington Post]

How do you feel about the media and politicians bringing a candidates family into the discussion? 

Topics: Life
Tags: politics, families, open letters, haters, wendy davis, celebrity children

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Sara Jonsson

Sara Jonsson is a Brooklyn-based writer, storyteller, and comic-book-movie lover. She can sometimes be found hosting variety shows, or writing web series about girls waiting in bathroom lines. She is from Montana and and dreams of one day interior designing ranch houses for a living.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.