Skip over navigation

7 Things Lorde Said So Well, They Seem Kind of Obvious Now

7 Things Lorde Said So Well, They Seem Kind of Obvious Now

By Kale Bogdanovs

Abramowicz /London Entertainment

We think the Rookie interview with Lorde was "phe-nom-nom" because it cut out all the condescending interview baloney that you usually see when an enterprising young person is interviewed by an Old. BLESS YOU, TAVI. The transcript of the two-hour Skype conversation is a fascinating look at two young achievers, and you should definitely read the whole thing. They're friends, for one, and they have a really funny meta conversation about interviews at the very beginning. But if you don’t have time to read eleven pages right now, here are seven nuggets of Lorde wisdom to whet your appetite.

It’s okay to love pop, and you shouldn't feel boxed in by musical genres.

"I remember being in year eight, the year before high school, and absolutely loving “Tik Tok” by Ke$ha, and then six months later I got really into Animal Collective and Grizzly Bear and Yeasayer. I still love those bands, but I definitely went through a 'you have to forget about the Ke$ha part of your life' thing. And then I realized that pop is really cool. In year 10, I have a really good friend called Zack, and we basically spent the first year of our friendship listening to old Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado and picking apart their melodic brilliance and everything that made us feel something and what it all meant. We would cover them on weird instruments, which was our way of accepting that type of music, but now I look back on that time and I’m like, that was actually a really good way of bringing together the alternative music that I liked and just the good, honest, fun pop stuff."

Grown-ups can be stupid/hashtags could go away and it wouldn't be the worst thing.

I’ve had probably 200 adults in my career say, “We know best,” pretty much, and it’s been bullsh*t. Right down to when I started my social networks and I would get an email from one of the record companies saying, “Just realized that you’re not social-networking to your fullest potential. Here’s how! Use lots of hashtags! Only focus on the music, like "I’ve cooked something up in the studio, you guys, can’t wait for you to hear it!" Do follow sprees and constantly reply to fans!' I was like, “You’ve just got to trust me. Everyone will hate me in two months if I do that.”

Journalists are untrustworthy, just like in the movies!

"I’m much better now at understanding journalists’ intentions. It sounds really jaded, but I think it’s good to never forget that you’re with a journalist. Even if you’re being mates, there’s some intention there. So I try to remember, 'Don’t bro down with everyone!' "

You should know about Shelley Duvall, even if you don't get Shelley Duvall.

"Have you seen that clip of Shelley Duvall on YouTube just saying 'Hello, I’m Shelley Duvall' in a variety of different costumes? It’s so weird! I don’t know if she had a TV show or something? But it’s like: 'Hello, I’m Shelley Duvall'—cut to her in overalls on a barn set. 'Hello, I’m Shelley Duvall'—cut to her looking like the Good Witch Glinda in some kind of fairytale situation. I love Shelley Duvall!

It's OK to feel whatever feels you feel, feel-bots.

"...People will say, 'She’s always talking about being bored, that’s petulant,' which I feel like is kind of taking the piss out of teenage emotions—just, like, making light of how teenagers feel."

People change, but art is forever. If you create something, you will probably grow to hate it.

I’m sure you look back at stuff you made or wrote a few months ago and are like, Oh god. I have that kind of constantly. But I think if you didn’t have that, then you would stop creating, because the cool thing about being a creative person is that you try to get to some unattainable goal in your head. I try and write the song that I dream of writing, and I think I’ve gotten there, and then six hours later I’m like, 'No, no, this is how it needs to go.'  That endless pursuit keeps us going.

There are different kinds of feminists... MINDBLOWN.

"Even now, I find a lot of feminist reading quite confusing—often there’s a set of rules, and people will be like, 'Oh, this person isn’t a true feminist because they don’t embody this one thing,' and, I don’t know, often there is a lot of gray area that can be hard to navigate. It’s just something that I’d assumed was natural for a long time. It’s not some crazy kind of alien concept to me."

[via Rookie]

Is Lorde the realest or what? 

Topics: Entertainment, Celebs & Stuff
Tags: celebrities, music we love, lorde, rookie, tavi gevinson, young and successful

Write your own comment!