Skip over navigation

We Interviewed Carly Rae Jepsen about Her Favorite Literature!

We Interviewed Carly Rae Jepsen about Her Favorite Literature!

By Emily Winter

Carly Rae is in the HOUSE TONIGHT. And she's here to NERD OUT like a proper lady.

You guys probs know by now that Carly Rae runs this NEAT BOOK CLUB, which is right up SparkLife alley. Her November book is the Billie Holiday biography Lady Sings The Blues by William Dufty. (<3 BILLIE HOLIDAY! SPOTIFY HER IF YOU DON'T KNOW HER!)

OKAY, SO, I have to admit: I was a liiiiiittle skeptical that Carly was actually choosing these books herself. I mean, a pop star who reads? It just seemed too crazy. BUT she agreed to an interview, and I got to grill her about literary characters and favorite books, so now I know it's true!

Read on... her answers sound exactly like a Sparkler's. :D 

Q: When did you know you were a reader? 

A: I discovered my love for reading when I was about 13 years old. My parents took my Grandmother and me to Europe for a vacation and I missed all of Holland because my nose was stuck in a book. It was something my Grandmother lent me, but I forget the title. A "bosom buster" she called it. Lot's of steamy scenes for a 13-year-old girl.

Q: What's your favorite book and why? 

A: It's impossible to pick a favourite. The Diary of Anne Frank was the first book I truly loved. It was the second book I picked up on my trip through Europe. I begged my parents to take me to her apartment when we hit Amsterdam. It was so strange to be there and know all her secrets and dreams. I walked around feeling profoundly sad.

Q: Which literary character do you look up to? 

A: Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. She's classically beautiful, intelligent and compassionate. I find her kind of fascinating for reasons I can't explain.
Q: Why is Billie Holiday important to you? 
A: Billie is my favourite voice of all time. Everything she sings melts me. Her voice is so beautiful and melancholy. I can feel the emotion behind every single word she sings.

Q: What was your favorite book growing up? 

A: Anne of Green Gables. I could still read that book a thousand times over and find it charming.

Q: What book makes you feel comforted when you're touring far away from home? 

A: I like reading poems or short stories when I'm away from home. Leonard Cohen and Margaret Atwood are two of my favs.

Q: What advice would you give your teenage self? 

A: I was a little perfectionist. I took a lot of things too seriously when it could have been more fun. I would tell myself to lighten up.

Q: What's your geekiest/nerdiest habit?
A:  I listen to 40s on 4 when I'm in my car driving and I know the words to almost every single song they play. My friends call me Grandma.
How much do you have in common with Carly????
Topics: Music, Books, Life
Tags: books, celebrities, music, interviews, celebs, carly rae jepsen, q & a, billie holiday

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners