Skip over navigation

CATS! And Other "Hunger Games: Catching Fire" News

CATS! And Other

By Ashley Brooke Roberts

The Pet Collective

We’re so happy to hear you’ve been obsessively watching The Pet Collective’s video portrayal of The Hunger Games too! We were worried we might be the only ones hitting refresh over and over again on this super cute cat video. Oh, wait, what was that? You have no idea what we’re talking about? Oh well, um, see, there’s a video on the internet, which, well, boils down The Hunger Games to a little under two minutes, and, it stars cats. Yeah. CATS. It’s pretty great. The first time you watch it you’re all “Wha???” but by the third watch you’re like “Yes! Yes! Again!” and then your day sort of speeds past you.

Not only is the video super cute, but it came out at the PRECISE TIME we learned (via the red Hunger Games phone in the office) that Buttercup the cat has been recast for Catching Fire! If you are a die-hard fan, then you were probably a little confused when Buttercup turned out to be a not-so scraggily black-and-white Appalachian-coal cat in the movie. Turns out, people—important people—were not happy, and things have been done to fix this glaring casting mishap. Who are the “important people” we mentioned? Oh, just fans, AND THE AUTHOR OF THE SERIES SUZANNE COLLINS. According to new Catching Fire director Francis Lawrence (no relation to Queen Lawrence), it was her only request. Here’s an excerpt from an interview with Lawrence:

io9: One of the first big changes I noticed from Hunger Games to Catching Fire was that you recast the cat. Why did you recast the cat?

Francis Lawrence: You know what that was actually, and I was happy to do it, that was a request from Nina the producer and Suzanne the author. That they thought the cat from the first movie was not the way he was described in the book. And that had annoyed a bunch of fans, and things like that. But it also just kind of bothered them that Buttercup was not a black and white cat. So I was happy to get one that felt like the Buttercup of the book.

It's funny because now people are split. Some people think we should have continued on with what happened in the first movie. And some people are really happy. You never win.

Were there any other requests from the author?

No, no, no. That was, quite honestly, the only simple thing, the Buttercup situation. Everything else was working on the story. We worked closely with Suzanne, which was partly why that came up.

CATS CATS CATS CATS! What do you think of the recasting? And the video!

[via i09/Gurl]

Topics: Books, Entertainment
Tags: cats, celebrities, the hunger games, catching fire, the hunger games movie, casting, cat videos, buttercup

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Ashley Brooke Roberts

Ashley Brooke Roberts is a stand-up comedian, writer, and actor living in Brooklyn. She's a performer at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater and can usually be found smiling at random dogs on the street. Follow her on twitter at @AshleyBRoberts.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.