Skip over navigation

Allison Emm's Natural Skincare Tips

Allison Emm's Natural Skincare Tips

By Allison Emm

The MindHut

Hi guys, it’s me. The Geeky Girl Glam girl. I like makeup and nerdy things. I also like geeking out about skincare.

Also, I like you guys. Mindhut Masterminds and Sparklers, alike. I don’t discriminate. Maybe you don’t understand why I want to wear this Skyrim hat EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY LIFE, but I still like you.

So! I’m going to share some of my favorite natural skin and hair care tips with you, because you often ask me questions of this nature. I already gave you a basic rundown here, but today I’ve got some specific ingredients I personally use and adore.

Plant Based Oils and Butters for Hair

Hot oil treatments and deep conditioners can get pretty pricy, but you can get silky soft hair using a few products from your kitchen pantry. Olive oil makes a great once-a-week hot oil treatment, as does coconut oil. Some ingredients you may have to look a little harder for, such as grapeseed oil and raw shea butter, but they are worth the hunt. The process is as follows:

• Heat up a few table spoons of the oil in the microwave. If you’re using shea butter, you’ll have to melt it down to a liquid state. The heat will help open up the hair follicle for deep conditioning.
  • Apply it to dry hair and work it through (Make sure it’s not too hot to handle!). It’s going to be a slippery slimy mess, so I suggest wrapping a towel around your shoulders and NOT wearing your favorite gamer tee.
  • Go play The Last of Us for a half hour to an hour. I know, I know. One does not simply play any immersive RPG for one hour. Just pause it long enough to shampoo the oil out of your hair, ok?
  • When your hair dries, it will be the softest thing you’ve ever touched. Think that chinchilla you once touched on your 4th grade trip to the zoo. Yeah, THAT soft.

If you don’t have the time for a hot oil treatment, applying a few drops of argan or macadamia oil to the ends of your hair will give you some extra shine and conditioning, and will also help smooth down any frizzies.

Plant Based Oils and Butters for Skin

In the same way that natural oils benefit your hair, they also soften and moisturize skin. Now, it’s important to realize that raw butters like shea, avocado, and cocoa butter, will not absorb as quickly as lotions containing alcohol. Personally, I try to stay away from anything that has alcohol within the first few ingredients listed, so you can’t really get any better than pure shea butter in that regard. If you have the time before bed, slather on the natural plant based butter of your choice, and it will soften your skin like nothing else by morning. I’ll admit, it’s a little obnoxious to be sticky for a few minutes after applying it, but well worth it. A few nights a week, I take my showers at night, use some shea butter with a drop of jasmine essential oil, and my skin is softer than ever by morning. Try it! I promise there is nothing else like it.

Homemade Soaps

This is probably the easiest way to work natural products into your routine, unless you’re bent on learning to make soap yourself (which you should totally do, if you have a mind to!). I’m fortunate enough to live in a place where every other hipster-vegan-artist-writer-bookworm in every coffee shop on every street corner makes natural soap at home, so it’s not too difficult to find. But chances are, there is at least one or two artisan soap makers in your town. If not, at the very least you can patronize the plethora of apothecary Etsy shops.

The reasons I love handmade soups? Firstly, straightforward ingredients. Most independent soap makers take personal pride in their work and are quite candid about what they put in their product. Secondly, they moisturize like no other body wash out there. I don’t know what kind of crazy magic they throw into that beautiful bar, but it’s wonderful. It probably has something to do with the plant based butters previously mentioned. Lastly, THE SCENTS. I’d like to say that I always purchase my soaps with the ingredients at the forefront of my mind, but I’ll be honest. If it smells like heaven, it’s going in my cart.

Sidenote: What DOES Heaven smell like? Springtime blossoms? Cupcakes and cupid kisses? Are the cherubim capable of farts? Are beans grown in Heaven still a magical fruit?

The best thing about indie soapers is that they will often offer to make you a custom batch if you have a specific scent or ingredient in mind. How great is that?

So, do I think that “natural” automatically means “best” for your skin and hair? Not necessarily. But I do have specific ingredients I prefer to avoid, such as parabens, sulfates, and mineral oil. Opting for natural products makes it easier to keep to those preferences. As always, do your own research, know your own skin, and pamper yourself accordingly. Your skin is a unique snowflake just like you. Don’t you feel special?

Do you have any beauty secrets/tips?

Topics: Beauty, Mindhut
Tags: makeup, beauty, geeky girl glam, allison emm, geek fashion, all natural

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Allison Emm

Allison Emm is a writer, illustrator, and handmade soap enthusiast hailing from Boulder, CO. She is fond of bookish and ruggedly handsome mountain men, blue spruce trees, birds of prey, starships, and yarn. See more of her high jinks at www.AllisonEmm.com, and follow her on Twitter @Allison_Emm.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.