Skip over navigation

I'm Doing NaNoWriMo. WHO'S WITH ME?!

I'm Doing NaNoWriMo. WHO'S WITH ME?!

By Melissa Albert

In just one week, National Novel Writing Month begins!

NaNoWriMo is a magical time that comes but once a year, when hope, insanity, and the support of the book-writing Internets combine to make everyone think that it's a good idea to write an ENTIRE FREAKING 50,000-WORD NOVEL IN 30 DAYS. In other words, it's amazing. No sooner will you hang up your sexy burrito costume on October 31, than you'll pick up your pen/laptop/pretentious quill and inkpot November 1, to start crafting your masterpiece.

Do you have what it takes to maturely write 1,667 words a day thus easily reaching your goal panic-write 25,000 words in one week, delete them all, then spend the remainder of November cry-typing a badly planned autobiography of Benjamin Franklin's cat? Are you ready to bore everyone with the world-building details of BamTown, the setting for your cybernovel? Can you HANDLE giving up your customary four-day Thanksgiving-pie coma in favor of NOT eating so much pie that you're unable to stay awake, much less work on your NaNo novel?

The answer to all these questions is: if I can do it, you can, too. Starting November 1, let's take this crazy train to literary greatness/Internet bragging rights together! I want every Sparkler and Mankler to have the opportunity to stumble outside at midnight on November 30, scream "I TOLD YOU I COULD DO IT!" to the stars, then fall into the dreamless sleep of the successful NaNo noveler.

See you back here in a week, fellow NaNo novelers!

Who else is doing NaNoWriMo? Don't leave me hanging!

Topics: Life
Tags: writing, novels, nanowrimo, authors, writing habits, good ideas

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Melissa Albert

Melissa Albert reads books, worries about other people’s dogs (they look thirsty), and eats horrible candy for fun and profit. When not wearing her extremely tasteful Sparkitor hat, she’s an editor for the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. You can find her on Twitter @mimi_albert, or in the hot pretzel section of your local cafeteria.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.

From Our Partners