Skip over navigation

Relaxing Mantras for Stressful Days

Relaxing Mantras for Stressful Days

By Alicia Thomas

Some days it can feel like life is throwing big, icy, stress-balls at you with the speed and accuracy of Buddy the Elf. When covering your head and running away doesn't work, and you actually have to deal with your responsibilities, these mantras can serve as a shield to help you stay calm and positive as you work your way through the day. We've also provided alternate mantras so you can find one that personally speaks to your spirit ;)

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely, and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." -Ralph Waldo Emerson. 

Alternate mantra: "Be the pool lilo you want to see in your life."

"Don't fill your head with worries. There won't be room for anything else!" -Ludwig Nevlin

Alternate mantra: "There is always room for pizza in your head."

"When we fill our thoughts with the right things, the wrong ones have no room to enter." -Joyce Meyer 

Alternate mantra: "Everyone walks smack bang into a glass door in front of the principal every once in a while."

"Choose to be optimistic. It feels better." -Dalai Lama XIV

Alternate mantra: "Everything feels better in novelty glasses."

"When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you." -Patrick Stump

Alternate mantra: "Scream I STILL LOVE YOU EVEN THOUGH I'M MAD AT YOU at the top of your lungs until you feel better."

"Never lose sight of the fact that just being is fun." -Katharine Hepburn

Alternate mantra: "You know what's fun? Spinning around until you fall over."

"We have to choose joy and keep choosing it." -Henri Nouwen

Alternate mantra: "Choose to wear crazy-print pants."

"Once she stopped rushing through life, she was amazed how much more life she had time for." -Rumi

Alternate mantra: "DO NOT RUSH A HOT POCKET."

"If you want to be happy, be." -Leo Tolstoy

Alternate mantra: "Beyonce."

"I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it." -Maya Angelou

Alternate mantra: "Change outfits ten times if that's what it takes to get your vibe on."

"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become." -Carl Jung

Alternate mantra: "I choose karaoke."

"I have chosen to be happy because it is  good for my health." -Voltaire

Alternate mantra: "Bouncy shoes."

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Alternate mantra: "Peas and carrots FTW."

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." -Robert Frost

Alternate mantra: "Maybe tomorrow I will put my pants on the right way."

"There are far better things ahead than we leave behind." -C.S. Lewis

Alternate mantra: "There is life after Harry Potter."

"Believe in yourself and in all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle." -Christian Larson 

Alternate mantra: "I have a giant gobstobber in my stomach."

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light." -J.K. Rowling 

Alternate mantra: "Nightlights are cool forever. The end."

"The more you know who you are and what you want, the less you let things upset you." -Bob Harris 

Alternate mantra: "Don't get upset, unless you're losing Monopoly, in which case feel free to tip over the board to end the game."

"Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think that you've lost time. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time." -Asha Tyson

Alternate mantra: "Don't stop believin'."

"When life is sweet, say 'thank you' and celebrate. When life is bitter, say 'thank you' and grow." -Shauna Niequest

Alternate mantra: "You don't have to eat grapefruit if you don't want."

"Ask yourself this question: 'Will this matter a year from now?'" -Richard Carlson 

Alternate mantra: "Ask yourself: Will I be wearing denim on denim in a year?"

"Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, 'I'm not going to make it,' but you laugh inside—remember all the times you've felt that way." -Charles Bukowski 

Alternate mantra: "Your bed is a bear pit you have to CLIMB OUT OF? Cooooolll."

"I realized this week that I cannot do it all. So I will choose to do what I can, fabulously." -Clinton Kelly

Alternate mantra: "One fabulous t-shirt is all it takes."

"In between goals is a thing called life that has to be lived and enjoyed." -Sid Carson

Alternate mantra: "Don't sweat the own-goals."

"You're human. You don't have to have it together every minute of every day." -Anne Hathaway

Alternate mantra: "You're human, or possibly a cyborg. Relax."

Think of these as words to live by. As stressed as you are, whatever you're going through right now will pass, and you'll get through it brilliantly!

Do you have a mantra that helps you through hard days that we forgot to mention? Let us know in the comments!

Topics: Life, The SparkNote to You
Tags: meditation, quotes, stress relief, relaxation, mantras

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Alicia Thomas

Alicia Thomas is a novelist trapped in a college student's body. She was just accepted to La Universidad de Sevilla, so she'll be traveling and eating tapas for a while. She likes words. And tea. And you. Yes, you.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.

From Our Partners