Skip over navigation

7 Reasons to Date a Band Geek

7 Reasons to Date a Band Geek

By Jason Saenz

Mark Herreid / Shutterstock.com

Do you have eyes for someone in the marching band but are worried what people might think of you if you date them? Well, DON'T BE, silly goose! In fact, there are some pretty awesome reasons that dating a Band Geek is a great idea. Check out 7 of them...right... NOW!

They Are Smart. It takes a smart mind and a sharp intellect to learn music, play an instrument, and march at the same time. That's like using 70 percent of your brain at once. They have to play a horn solo while spinning in a figure eight formation with 20 other people that eventually turns into a elaborate recreation of the movie Inception. You can barely look at your phone without tripping. Stick with the smartie.

They Have Some Money. Instruments don’t grown on trees, NOT EVEN REALLY BIG TREES. Band members have to buy or rent those themselves. That means either they have a job (dedicated and hard working? Score!) or their parents have money. (Even better!!!) Either way, it's a good sign. No more McDonald’s dates for you. You're going to T.G.I.Fridays now guuuurl!

They Won't Move Too Fast. They practice 2-5 hours each day to make beautiful music to listen to while waiting for the second half of a football game to start. They're probably a little shy around anything that doesn't have a bass clef written on it. That means they won't pressure you to move any faster than you're comfortable with. They're just happy to know someone outside the horn section finds them attractive. They'll respect your boundaries. Now you respect theirs and don't mess with their reeds, okay?

Talent = Hotness. Lets be real: Musicians are hot. They're creative, mysterious, and perform in front of large crowds. It takes dedication and confidence to be a musician. Plus, if things go well your band geek might even write a song about you. Sure, it'll be played on the tuba, but it's the thought that counts.

Talent = Fame. All that talent has to go someplace. Ever heard of Jennifer Gardner, Gwen Stefani, Julia Roberts, Halle Berry, Nelly Furtado or Samuel L Jackson? Yeah, they all played in their high school marching bands. So go grab one of those shooting stars early because one day they'll be starring in "Drumline 5: Getting Drummy With It" and you'll marching down that red carpet.

They Give You Your Space. Having a little alone time is healthy for a relationship, and since your sweetie will be traveling to away games and competitions you'll have built-in weekends in which you don't have to hang out. You can make plans with your friends and it's not a big deal. Plus, absence makes the heart grow fonder. Imagine how special you'll feel when your band geek returns from a week in Orlando, Florida with a "Best Bassoon" trophy in his hand.

They Look Good in a Uniform. That jacket! That cape! That hat with the feather thing sticking out of it! They look like sexy royal guards at Buckingham Palace but more nimble. Also, if a guard did that at Buckingham Palace he would be beheaded. (Note: May not be true but I did see that in a movie once. It was Drum Line 4: Game of Thrones Edition, I think.)

They're Good with Their Hands. All those solos have strengthened their hands to that of a professional textbook ripper. Imagine the back massages! You'll never have an unopened pickle jar when they're around. Plus with hands like those they definitely know what notes to play, if you know what I mean. (Seriously, do you know what I mean? Because I do not.)

What other reasons are there to date a Band Geek? You know, other than true love?

Topics: Life
Tags: band, dating, marching band, lists

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Jason Saenz

Jason Saenz is a writer in New York City. Follow him on Twitter @JasonSaenz!

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.

From Our Partners