Skip over navigation

Splogger and Sparkitor Real-Life Mantras

Splogger and Sparkitor Real-Life Mantras

By Emily Winter

There's a big difference between what we think we should think and what we actually think. Know what I mean? I asked the Sploggers and Sparkitors to tell me what they REALLY say to themselves when the going gets tough. Here are their personal, real-life mantras:

Josh Perilo: "Personal accountability is unavoidable."

Shivani: "Embrace the daily grind."

I am a master-level procrastinator and this is the most concise reminder that working hard every other day or occasionally doesn’t lead to success. If I want cool things to happen then I have to have the dedication and stamina to work on it every day.

Jason Saenz (Splogger + comedian): "You're great! You're funny! You're gonna kick ass!" is what I tell myself, while jumping up and down, before I head on stage to perform.

Danielle Kraese: Keep moving forward.” 

It sounds simple and obvious (I mean, if you move backwards, you’re much more likely to trip on things), but I bust this out any time I’m feeling frustrated with where I am in life. This mantra reminds me that as long as I take positive action every day, no matter how small, I’m closer to my goals than I was the day before. This can help with enduring breakups, layoffs, disastrous job interviews, and regrettable fashion choices.

Val Burn: "That's a problem for future Val."

Kind of the opposite of "seize the day," but it keeps me from worrying about things I can't control.

Chelsea Dagger: I've got 2 mantras: the first is "One brave deed begets another," which I think I stole from the internet. The second is "LITTLE DUST BUNNIES GO AWAY RIGHT NOOWWWWWW," from My Neighbor Totoro, the best movie ever made.

I have fairly severe anxiety, and I use these mantras to calm myself down and remind myself to be courageous in everyday life (plus, the second one is fun to yell at unsuspecting passerby).

Becky Ferreira: "Be excellent to each other."

This is a tenet of my faith: Wyld Stallynism. I love the enthusiasm and trust with which Bill and Ted approach the world, and "excellent" is exactly the standard I'd like to reach in my treatment of others. It's a great reminder that we're all just meat bags going through the same stuff together, so why not party on, dudes?

Brandon Specktor: "Follow the fear."

This is a mantra they teach you right away in improv classes, because fear is a legendary enemy of creativity. I've learned that this mantra applies just as well to most decisions in daily life. It's good to do the scarier thing now and then. If you aren't trying things that are a little bit uncomfortable or uncertain to you, you're not letting yourself grow as a person.

Kathryn Williams: My two personal mantras, one by the highly quotable Benjy-boy Franklin and one from Charlotte Bronte, but which I got off a cocktail napkin:
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." -Benjamin Franklin
As a writer, it's easy to get so focused on what you're producing that you forget that the best writing comes from experience. I'm not just talking "write what you know" but that if you are an active person engaged with your world, your writing will be more animated and more engaging. If you're stuck, go out into the world and get yourself unstuck. Staring at your computer will not make brilliant words appear. I've tried. 

"I would always rather be happy than dignified." -Charlotte Bronte via cocktail napkin

Pretty self-explanatory if you ever meet me and my booger jokes.

Melissa Albert: "Fake it till you make it."

Think about it: everyone who's ever done anything once had to do it for the first time ever. Stephen King wrote his first novel. The Rock once lifted his very first weight. And Kristen Stewart learned to scowl through intimidating interviews by scowling through intimidating interviews. Not doing something just because you've never done it before is the WORST EXCUSE EVER, so my solution is to just say yes, pretend I totally know what I'm doing, then scream silently into a paper bag once it's too late to back out.

Josh Sorokach: "Take a deep breath and channel your focus on one issue at a time."

Jinx Lee: "Everyone's just trying to do their best."

I say this to myself when someone does something annoying or messed up, and it helps me chill out and have a little empathy.

Lauren Passell: "Call your mom."

Whenever I am anxious or in doubt or don't know what to do, I call my mom and she calms me or has an answer. "You don't have to go to that party." "You should quit, that sounds sucky." "I'll help you." "You're not going to get arrested." If I start feeling panicky, I know what I have to do. I know the call I have to make.

Jenny Grudziecki: "If they don't accept you, you didn't want to be friends with them anyway."

My justification for doing anything I'm not sure my friends will like.

Reid Faylor: "No one cares! This is not a big deal."
I'm aware this may sound negative, but it's really more about not worrying what anyone else thinks. Sometimes you need a bit of practical apathy to remember that you can only please yourself, so do what makes you happy.

Emily Winter: "Most people are stupid and suck." -My even MORE negative version of Reid's mantra. I remind myself of this whenever I'm afraid of what people will think of me.

"Choose action over inaction." I say this one out loud a lot. On weekends. At noon. In bed. If there's no leftover pizza downstairs, it's the only thing that gets me moving.

What's your real-life mantra? 

Topics: Life, The SparkNote to You
Tags: self-improvement, lists, mantras, sparkitors, sploggers

Write your own comment!