Skip over navigation

Girl Sent Home From School Because of Her "Not Presentable" Dreadlocks

Girl Sent Home From School Because of Her

By Valerie Burn

For better or for worse, schools have all sorts of rules and dress codes. Most of these rules deal with annoying-but-necessary things: length of shorts, and wearing certain logos, for example. Certainly, we sympathize with schools trying to maintain "order," but we think that a lot of them are overkill (and sometimes sexistracist, or just plain weird). Today's story falls into the "racist" category.

Seven-year-old Tiana Parker was sent home from school for not abiding by her school's dress code. The reason? Her hair was not presentable. The hair in question? Dreadlocks pulled into a neat ponytail on top of her head.

Tiana's father, Terrance Parker—who, by the way, is a barber—was forced to pull Tiana from school. "She's always presentable. I take pride in my kids looking nice," her dad said. "It hurt my feelings to the core."

Tiana feels the same way. She cried as she talked to a reporter for a local station. When asked why she was said, Tiana said, through tears, "Because they didn't like my dreads."

You can watch the interview here:

Now we have a major sadz. Uniforms and appearance regulations are supposed to maintain order, but we cannot see the lack of order in Tiana's natural (and groomed!) locks. Dreadlocks are just the way her hair grows naturally.

Certainly, we could subject 7-year-olds to straightening treatments and weaves, but that seems highly unnecessary (and—HELLO—racist). Tiana's hair was in no way unruly or unpresentable—that's like declaring her classmate's blonde wispy whale-spout ponytail "not presentable." That's just what natural hair looks like, dweebs!

Ugh. Tiana's father said they have enrolled her in a different school—one that tolerates so-called "not presentable" hair such as Tiana's cute, neat 'do.

Does your school have any annoying dress codes? Have you ever been sent home for violating one?

[via Buzzfeed]

Topics: Life
Tags: news, hair, racism, dreadlocks

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Valerie Burn

Valerie Burn is a very cool Midwestern lady. She has lived in tons of exciting places, such as Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan. She spends her free time snuggling her beautiful, perfect dog Teddy, and reading the entire internet every day. Valerie enjoys eating things, buying things, and writing things, as well as watching terrible TV.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.