Skip over navigation

Today In Vocab News: Twerk's a Real Word Now

Today In Vocab News: Twerk's a Real Word Now

By Bailey_Swilley

Oxford has added the words “twerk” and “selfie” to its online dictionary. We’re not sure if Miley had any influence on at least one of these additions, but she is the unofficial twerk queen these days. Other new words of note: “emoji,” “food baby, ” and “cake pop.”

Though we’re all for the expansion of vocabulary in the digital/twerking age, here are some words Oxford is overdue on adding:

grool
adjective
informal
the combination of “cool” and “great,” used especially in times of exasperation in front of a cute guy in math class, especially guys named Aaron Samuels:
I was so nervous speaking to Aaron Samuels, that I said “grool” instead of “cool” or “great.”
Grool, I’ll see you then.

welp
interjection
informal
the sound someone makes when sighing and beginning a sentence with “well…”:
Welp, I guess we’re breaking up.

Golden Snitch / Snitch
noun
formal

the third and most awesome ball used in Quidditch. A little smaller than a golf ball, it has wings and flies around the Quidditch field. Once caught, the game is over:
Welp, show’s over—the Snitch has been caught.
This will be the year I catch the Golden Snitch. I’ve been practicing like crazy.

biffle
noun
informal
your number one muchacho, your best friend, the person you will do anything for:
Of course you can have the last slice of pizza—you’re my biffle!

cray-cray
adjective
informal

a really fun way of saying “crazy,” especially when you’re describing your biffle’s weirdly awesome behavior:
Girl, you are so cray-cray! I can’t believe you thought of that that hilarious joke!

[Via Jezebel ]

So what do you think about the new additions in the dictionary? What else should be added?

Topics: Life
Tags: language, news, slang, words, definitions

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Bailey_Swilley

Bailey Swilley is a writer, web production editor, and comedian living in Brooklyn. She loves to talk about dogs, musical theatre, and celebs... especially Beyonce.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.