Skip over navigation

Trailer Alert: Benedict Cumberbatch Plays Aussie WikiLeaker and Blond Man-Waterfall

Trailer Alert: Benedict Cumberbatch Plays Aussie WikiLeaker and Blond Man-Waterfall

By Janet Manley

Hold onto your Chelsea Daggers, team: Benedict Cumberbatch's glowing zircon eyeballs are starring in a new film about WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. Not only that, but the film, "The Fifth Estate," also stars Remus Lupin (David Thewlis) and Caesar Flickerman (Stanley Tucci), as well as a very Hillary Clinton-looking Laura Linney. Oh! And the director is Bill Condon, of "Breaking Dawn" fame.

But here's the best part: For his role, Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch wears a long, clingy blonde wig and speaks in an Australian accent. Method! I'm a native Aussie, and I think ol' Bennie Cumberbeans does a pretty good job on the soft-voweled Australian purr (the opposite of this). But we had a wee bit of a hard time buying some of the uber dramatic dialogue shown (leaked!) in the trailer.

Assange: "If you want the truth, you should seek it out. That's what they're afraid of ... you, and killer jellies."

Assange: "Courage is contagious ... mate."

Assange: "Man is least himself when he talk in his own person. Give him a mask, he will tell you the truth. Wallaby wallaby wallaby."

*Editorial additions.

The film is coming out at a pretty topical time: Assange is still holed up in the Ecuadorian embassy in London, fighting extradition charges, while Johnny-come-lately leaker-man Edward Snowden remains stuck in the Moscow airport looking for asylum, and presumably cordoned off with fifteen neck pillows, the entire "Twilight" paperback set, and seventeen Moscow souvenir keychains by now. The good news is he is probably mayor of the iPhone charger station at this stage. ("I take charge, and I give charge away.")

Set your clocks for October 11, Sparkteam!

Watch the trailer below, and let us know what you think. Can you romance Bennie's Malfoy hair?

[via Popsugar]

Topics: Celebs & Stuff
Tags: movies, trailers, benedict cumberbatch

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Janet Manley

Janet's desk was moved into the hall for the duration of coursework on Roman numerals in grade four, and she cannot tell one Rocky from another to this day. Her spirit animal is a wombat, and she has not written a novel. Dauntless, Gryffindor, Mockingjay. She tweets @janetmanley

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.