Skip over navigation

In Defense of Carly Rae Jepsen's Atrocious First Pitch

In Defense of Carly Rae Jepsen's Atrocious First Pitch

By Josh Sorokach

Go ahead and call us Carly Rae Jepsen apologists, but maybe, just (call me) maybe, her attempt at throwing out the first pitch during the Rays/Astros game Sunday night wasn't that bad. We haven't seen the allegedly awful first pitch yet, so let's all take a look together:

Yikes. Okay, that wasn't pretty. She really missed the catcher bad. She missed him bad. She missed him so so bad. This definitely wasn't CRJ's finest hour, BUT there were a lot of factors that could have led to her errant pitch:

1. The catcher's stare was holdin'

2. Her ripped jean shorts; skin was showin'

3. It was a hot night; wind was blowin'

I mean, where did you think that pitch was goin', baby? Sorry, we shouldn't call Ms. Jepsen "baby." Yes, her first pitch was more "Field of Screams" than "Field of Dreams," but in Carly Rae Jepsen's defense:

1. Throwing a baseball to a catcher is substantially different from throwing a wish in a well. How do I know this? Don't ask me; I'll never tell.

2. If the roles were reversed I don't think a baseball attempting to throw Carly Rae Jepsen would have fared much better.

3. Carly Rae Jepsen's first pitch wasn't the worst attempt by a female performer. That dubious distinction belongs to Mariah "Of course I'm going to wear these high heels out to the mound" Carey.

4. Throwing out a first pitch can be stressful! Even athletes like Olympic gold medalist Carl Lewis can have difficulty handling the pressure.

5. Earlier this year Jepsen successfully threw out the ceremonial first pitch at an Orioles game.

Call us crazy, but we don't think we've seen Jepsen's last attempt at a first pitch.

[via Today.com]

Would you throw out the first pitch at a baseball game if you had the chance?

Topics: Celebs & Stuff
Tags: sports, television, music, funny things, pop stars, embarrassing situations, carly rae jepsen

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Josh Sorokach

Josh Sorokach is a comedy writer living in New York City. He's a former American Idol winner, three time Olympian, and habitual liar. Follow him on twitter @Joshsorokach.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.