Skip over navigation

Katniss Everdeen and Percy Weasley (Plus 6 More Hilariously Unlikely Fictional Couples)

Katniss Everdeen and Percy Weasley (Plus 6 More Hilariously Unlikely Fictional Couples)

By Elodie

Nobody knows exactly what goes into the mix for a stable and stellar relationship, because they come in all shapes and sizes. But there are a few hypothetical fictional relationships that we can tell already would just be a great big fireball of disaster, and they are as follows:

Katniss Everdeen (from The Hunger Games) and Percy Weasley (from Harry Potter). Why exactly wouldn't this work? Well, Percy betrays his own blood and displays no backbone until the very, very end. Katniss, for all her boy waffling, does everything she can to protect her family, for the sister she loves and the mother she’s trying to forgive. If nothing else, I want to see these two go on a date just so Katniss can give Percy the appalled expression and face-smacking he deserves for what went down in Order of the Phoenix.

Enjolras (from Les Misérables) and Daisy Buchanan (from The Great Gatsby). Daisy's all about money and titles and the aristocracy, which are, CRAZILY ENOUGH, a lot of the things Enjolras goes against when he builds a wall of furniture to stick it to the man. They say sometimes opposites attract, but in this case opposites might wind up shouting at each other over a basket of breadsticks until the waitress politely asks them to leave.

Sherlock Holmes (from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes) and Mrs. Bennet (from Pride and Prejudice). I don't even want to talk about this one. I just want to sit back and let the idea sink in for a second.

Cordelia (from King Lear) and John Falstaff (from Henry IV, Part I). Cordelia is equal parts totally honest and relentlessly loyal. She's like a golden retriever meets Honest Abe Lincoln meets a Disney princess. She considers lying to be the height of dishonor, whereas Falstaff has no use for honor. He basically considers honor to be the toilet paper he wipes his butt with. Needless to say, they wouldn't hit it off immediately, or ever.

Edward Cullen (from Twilight) and Éowyn (from The Lord of the Rings). The first time Edward would try to tell Éowyn who she could and couldn't hang out with, she'd probs put a sword through his gut. But this relationship probably wouldn't have gotten far anyway; Éowyn's not really his type, which is to say she's dynamic and interesting.

Gwendolen Fairfax (from The Importance of Being Earnest) and Jay Gatsby (from The Great Gatsby). In all likelihood, the date would crash and burn. I'm not even totally sure a first date would come to fruition, given that Gwendolen is not Daisy Buchanan and Gatsby's name isn't anything even resembling Earnest. It's a shame, really, because together they could've created a powerhouse of superficial expectations, materialistic ambitions, and cool parties.

Lisbeth Salander (from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and Gilderoy Lockhart (from Harry Potter). Something about this potential pairing tickled me so much I snorted about two hours ago and have been laughing ever since. Picture them going to see a romantic comedy together. Just picture it.

Which unlikely pairing is your favorite? Which other fictional characters would make terrible couples?

Topics: Books, Life
Tags: harry potter, books we love, the great gatsby, funny things, couples, katniss everdeen, fictional characters, funny lists, characters we love, pride an prejudice

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

Writer. College student. Good at losing her keys, eating breakfast sandwiches, and holding lifelong grudges. She realizes none of these things will help her survive a zombie apocalypse, and she’s made her peace with that. You can follow her on Twitter @elleohdee, but it’s just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.