Skip over navigation

Why We Love "Feminist Taylor Swift"

Why We Love

By Valerie Burn

Sparklers, we're totally loving the new (fake) Twitter account Feminist Taylor Swift (@feminsttswift). The account takes lyrics from our favorite T. Swift songs, and adds in a douse of funny feminism.

Try this one, which is a mash up of "Mean" with the expectation of flawlessness for women today:

I walk with my head down / Trying to block you out 'cause I'll never impress you / Women are held to an impossibly high standard

We also love this one, which takes that "high heels / sneakers" line from "You Belong With Me" (one of our fave Taylor Swift vids) and turns it a little on its head:

She wears high heels / I wear sneakers / We're each expressing our gender identities in ways that make us feel comfortable / Date me

Or this one, which combines classic Swifty with that ol "women aren't funny" thing that people like to insist sometimes:

You throw your head back laughing like a little kid / I think it's strange that you think I'm funny 'cause / People often say women aren't

Finally, one of our favorites, since it really speaks to us:

I like glitter and sparkly dresses / And feminism

What's nice about this parody Twitter account is the juxtaposition between Taylor Swift's lyrics, life, and political stance. Some of her lyrics are already progressive and not about needing a boyfriend to be happy (hello, 22!). Others are a little less so—based around fairy tales and some dude asking for her dad for permission to marry her (hello, patriarchy!). Which is how many of us are: multidimensional and not a caricature. You know, one minute we're insisting girls who need boyfriends are so lame and the next we are lamenting "BUT WHY DOESN'T HE JUST LIKE ME BACK?" Sigh. Holla if you've been there.

What do you think about "Feminist Taylor Swift"? Or parody accounts in general? If you have a favorite account or quote, leave it in the comments!

[Via Buzzfeed]

Topics: Celebs & Stuff
Tags: twitter, lyrics, news, taylor swift, music, feminism

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Valerie Burn

Valerie Burn is a very cool Midwestern lady. She has lived in tons of exciting places, such as Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan. She spends her free time snuggling her beautiful, perfect dog Teddy, and reading the entire internet every day. Valerie enjoys eating things, buying things, and writing things, as well as watching terrible TV.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.