Skip over navigation

TSA Officer Shames Teen Girl for Wearing Leggings

TSA Officer Shames Teen Girl for Wearing Leggings

By Valerie Burn

In ughhhh, really? news, last week a TSA officer basically called a 15-year-old girl a slut for wearing black leggings (rear end covered!) to the airport.

Um, excuse us, but we weren't aware there was any other acceptable attire for the airport. We can't remember the last time we went to the airport in something other than comfy pants!

Fortunately for this teen girl, her dad is Mark Frauenfelder, the founder of Boing Boing, who used that platform to share her story. Her cool dad says,

[My daughter] said the officer was "glaring" at her and mumbling. [My daughter] said, "Excuse me?" and [the TSA agent] said, "You're only 15, cover yourself!" in a hostile tone. She texted her parents: "I'm furious! He was so rude and hostile. He made me feel like a slut."

Personally, we are in Camp "Leggings Are Not Pants." However, if you want to wear them as pants, you should be free from harassment, especially from government agents. For one, our teen friend should be able to wear whatever she wants to the airport and everywhere else, because 1) her outfit was not "slutty" and 2) outfits are inanimate objects that by definition cannot be slutty.

Next, we're all for dressing appropriately for the situation. Fancy dinner? Maybe not the time for leggings or leggings-as-pants. However, the airport? She was not walking around in short-shorts and a bandeau bra (and even if she was, she can wear whatever she wants and should be free from harassment). But here, she was wearing flannel and stretchy pants.

Flannel.

And.

Stretchy pants.

Honestly, we feel like she could have been wearing close-to-anything and would have been subject to harassment by this rude TSA dude. And if not her, the next girl. We applaud her for telling her parents and spreading the word, rather than internalizing the TSA agent's awful slut-shame!

Have you ever been harassed for what you wore? What do you think - should she cover up or is this ridiculous?

[Via Cosmo]

Topics: Fashion
Tags: news, leggings, yoga pants

Write your own comment!

OR

About the Author
Valerie Burn

Valerie Burn is a very cool Midwestern lady. She has lived in tons of exciting places, such as Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan. She spends her free time snuggling her beautiful, perfect dog Teddy, and reading the entire internet every day. Valerie enjoys eating things, buying things, and writing things, as well as watching terrible TV.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.