Skip over navigation

True Story: I Had a Summer Fling With My A/C Unit

True Story: I Had a Summer Fling With My A/C Unit

By Bailey_Swilley

This time of the year always reminds me of a summer fling I once had. Lucky for you, I kept all the love letters I ever wrote him. Enjoy.

May 15
Dear A/C Unit,
I'm writing to let you know what a great time I had a few days ago. I followed the rule of waiting a few days to reach out to you, but the truth is... I've been so hot for you. You're so cool. I know setting things up to meet was a little rocky at first, but once we snuck you through the window, you fit right in. I never felt like you came on too strong. When you came close, you seemed to be able to dial it right back.
Anyway, A/C (can I call you that?), I hope we can see each other again soon.
-Me.

May 31
Hey A/C—
You are such a blast. You're like a breath of fresh air. It's strange how comfortable I feel around you. The summer days can be so hot, sticky, and stress-inducing, but since I've started hanging with you, life has been so much easier. I can't wait for our night in to Netflix Cool Runnings!
See you soon,
Bailey

June 5
Hey, you.
Has anyone ever told you how gorgeous and sleek you are? I love the stripes you always wear and you always know how to accessorize with all those cool buttons. I feel like when we're out together, everyone's always like, "What's he doing with her?!" Sigh, I'm so lucky. Can't wait to see you tonight. I'm bringing pizza from that new place!
XOXO,
Bailey

June 20

Babe-
I'm totes supposed to be studying right now, but I had to write you a little note! Yesterday was amazing, as usual. I feel like we have the most fun when we are doing nothing at all. When we just listened to records and picked out "our song," that was amazing. I love that it's "Ice, Ice Baby." It's so perfect and ironic. Just like us. I love when we sit in silence, too—it's like I can feel you buzzing from the inside.
Head over heels,
Bailey

July 1
Hey love,
I wanted to drop a line, and it's a little more serious this time. It's so hard for me to remember life before you. And I don't even want to try. You make me feel so great about myself. I used to have the hardest time getting to sleep at night but now with you in my life, I'm able to drift into dreamland worry-free. I guess what I'm trying to say is, well, I love you. You don't have to say anything back, but just know how I truly feel about you.
Bailey

July 14
Muffin,
I've been telling all my friends about us and they can't wait to meet you! I'm so excited and I hope you won't be mad, but I went ahead and invited them over for a game night at my place next week. Don't be stressed about it, they'll all love you! You'll be the life of the party!
-Bailey

July 22

Love,
What did I tell ya? Everyone loved you. You were such a huge hit! I hope you never leave me. You're my best friend in the whole world. Can't wait to surprise you with something special tonight!
Love you,
Bailey

July 30
Hi Sweetie,
Haven't heard back from you yet about the trip I asked you about. I get that new experiences can be tough, but I feel like we are such homebodies all the time... I'm worried that before we know it, the summer will be over and we won't be able to enjoy and soak it all in. Let me know your thoughts.
Bailey

August 10

A-
What's up cupcake? I'm coming over later today and I'll bring some DVDs I know you like. It's a surprise but I'll give you one hint: It rhymes with Moctor Moo. Get excited!
:-)
B.

August 25
Hey-
Not sure why you were being so icy towards me last time I was over, but it's water under the bridge. I'm cooking dinner tonight and it's going to be awesome. Can't wait to catch up.
Hearts,
B.

September 5
Hi A/C,
I'm coming over to talk tonight.
Bailey

September 15
Hey A/C,
I'm writing to apologize. I'm sorry for being so distant. I know after our talk, we decided we'd patch things up, but something is just making me feel colder towards you. It's not all nice and comfy like it used to be. It's literally freezing... all of the time. I feel like I need you in my life, but I don't think right now is the time.
Besides, I'm going to be really busy with school again since it's starting back up and my parents say I really need to put all my focus and drive toward that and not a relationship. Maybe we'll reconnect next summer...
Until then, I hope we both find what we're looking for.
Take care of yourself,
Bailey

Topics: Life
Tags: summer, love, flings, air conditioning, summer flings, love letters

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Bailey_Swilley

Bailey Swilley is a writer, web production editor, and musical improviser living in Brooklyn. She's passionate about puppies, pop culture, and pastries.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.

From Our Partners