Skip over navigation

Which Shakespeare Character Are You?

Which Shakespeare Character Are You?

By Becky Ferreira

Joss Whedon's delightful adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing has reignited our love of the Bard (not that our love for ol' Billy Shakes ever really faded away). The movie reminded us a very important fact: you really need to know which Shakespearean character you are if you are to have any sort of success in this life. Take this quiz to find out once and for all!

1. What is your idea of a fun night out?

a) Brooding and wandering around aimlessly, no question.

b) Going to a masquerade! You can get away with much riskier jokes when your identity is a secret.

c) I like to spend my evenings falling madly in love to the detriment of pretty much everyone around me.

d) Let me check my calendar. Yes, it seems I have a power grab scheduled for tonight. I do enjoy a good coup.

e) Pfft, I'm not much of a planner, but chances are I'll be messing with the lives of mortals at any given time. They're just so delightfully gullible!

2. You feel the key to life is to:

a) Examine it. In excrutiating, minute detail.

b) Be hilarious. Wit conquers all.

c) Find true love, no matter the cost.

d) Rule, as much and as many as possible. Anyone who says otherwise has never actually experienced the rush of real power.

e) Play. Rules are made to be broken. The fact that it's fun to break 'em is just a bonus.

3. How do you think others see you?

a) I make them uneasy because I keep so much hidden.

b) They adore my sharp sense of humor...so long as I don't use it at their expense.

c) It doesn't matter. Only my lover's opinion of me matters.

d) If I wasted my time worrying about what my minions think, I would be one of them.

e) Oh dude, people can't help but love me. Despite constantly geting into trouble, I always end up being the life of the party.

4. You find a wallet with $300 in it. What do you do?

a) I really doubt I'd notice a wallet on the ground. When I get lost in thought, the outside world barely seems to be there.

b) I'd track down the owner. Just because I like to poke fun doesn't mean I like to do harm.

c) Spend all the dough on my lover. I'd feel guilty about it, sure, but that's nothing compared to a smile on his/her face.

d) I've stolen much bigger things than wallets. Finders, keepers.

e) I'd have no interest in the wallet one way or another. Money is boring. I have more exciting games to play.

5. How do you show your friends you love them?

a) I have few friends, but I have told them never to doubt my love.

b) By making them laugh in light times, and defending them with my life in hard times.

c) I subject them to long rambles about how in love I am, and then they make fun of me for being a sucker.

d) I don't murder them.

e) I let them bask in the awesomeness that is ME.

And the results!

If you chose mostly As, you are Hamlet of Hamlet! Your mind is a veritable labyrinth, packed to the brim with ruminations about the meaning of life, the universe, and everything. People may think you are distant and moody, and write you off as a impractical daydreamer. But your true friends know that your inner world is rich, complex, and filled with beautiful contradictions. Continue nerdin' up a storm, but try not to follow your thoughts too far into the dark side.

If you chose mostly Bs, you are Beatrice of Much Ado About Nothing! You are the definition of "devastatingly charming." Your takedowns of those who vex you are legendary, and you love batting verbal barbs around with anyone who can keep up. But, like so many funny people, your sharp sense of humor is fueled by high ethical expectations of yourself and those around you. You may seem lighthearted, but you would never abandon a friend or hurt an innocent person. Keep up the badassery, and go easy on the newbies.

If you chose mostly Cs, you are Romeo of Romeo and Juliet. Dude, you need to stop thinking with your hormones. Yes, love is fantastic and everyone should experience it, but do you really have to be in such a hurry? You practically have a new partner every month, and you pledge undying love to them all. No matter how real it feels to you, you are clearly addicted to the rush of new love, and it's causing all your friends to die (well, it does in the play anyway). You might be next if you let infatuation run your life any more! Real talk, bro. Real talk.

If you chose mostly Ds, you are Lady MacBeth of MacBeth. Listen, we're not against being ambitious. Everyone should go after what they want with all the energy they can muster! However, if getting what you want involves killing people and covering it up, that's probably a no-no. If you go through life thinking the world is just "cheat or be cheated," you're gonna have a bad time. Sure, it's hard to get ahead without compromising your morals, but it's worse to be stuck with a phantom blood stain on your hand forever because you screwed over your ally for a dumb title. Get used to that spot, darlin!

If you chose mostly Es, you are Puck of A Midsummer Night's Dream! Life is pretty awesome when you're a supernatural prankster. The world seems so full of opportunities for playtime and mischief, you barely know where to start. You especially excel at tricking mortals and fairies alike into exposing their own prejudices, which can get you into trouble with the high-ups. However, you are a seriously smooth talker, and have never met a problem you couldn't rhyme your way out of. Also, you are immortal, which we hear is a real plus. High five!

Topics: Life
Tags: shakespeare, personality types, personality tests, personality quizzes

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Becky Ferreira

Becky Ferreira is a writer, performer, and raptor based in New York.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.